Model T Tool?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Model T Tool?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Milt Washburn on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 02:41 pm:

Hi-

I'm taking a shot in the dark here. Hope you don't mind. Hope this isn't to far OT.

We found this tool in a shed and can't figure what it is for. Is it a Model T tool? Or if not any idea what it is for? Note that both jaws curve the same way, the bars are 1/4" thick, the whole thing is 18" long. There are traces of red paint. Tool 1Tool 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 03:37 pm:

I would guess it was used for crimping fence wire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Milt Washburn on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 06:50 pm:

I ran right out and tried that and couldn't make it work. Also tried spreading chain links. Problem is the jaws curve the same direction so they don't grip. Even with a chain perched between the double jaws the single jaw just pushes it off. I am beginning to think it is incomplete; there might be another holding fixture to go with it.

My friend had a couple T's before and during WWII and I hoped it might have belonged to them and he just forgot. Probly not.
=======================
You all might be amused: My father drove Model T's when they were first invented. He never quite got over it and in later years always rode the clutch on more modern cars. Drove my brother and me nuts. Couldn't keep his foot off it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 07:53 pm:

Could it be used as a bead breaker? If the handles are closed and the curved ends pushed in between the tyre bead and the rim, and then the handles parted, it may work.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 08:23 pm:

Toenail clipper…..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Milt Washburn on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 11:00 am:

A perfect fit.:-)

Thanx for letting me barge in on your forum. Guess we've beat this one to death so I'll back on out and leave you to it. Will post back if I ever get the answer. I just know you are anxious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Spittler on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 12:59 pm:

It looks like a tool used to close a monkey link on a set of tire chains.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 01:19 pm:

Not sure what it is, but I think the lower handle should rotate around so that the three hooks line up when the handles are brought together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Milt Washburn on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 11:05 pm:

Yes it reverses - I didn't mention that before. Here it is reversed. The jaws don't close this way either. And you can see wear marks on the top of the jaws. My shoe size is 10 1/2 D.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration