Improved car guys

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Improved car guys
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 04:14 pm:

Donnie Brown was questioning how the touring vehicle was equipped with regard to top hardware.

Recently I read a letter dated December 2nd, 1925 from the New York branch. The heading was "Dress up your Ford Runabout with Ford top boots and gypsy curtains. They included an order form which had the following;
1- T-41114 Top Boot Assembly with straps
1- T-41097R Right Hand Gypsy Curtain
1- T-41098R Left Hand Gypsy Curtain
2- Prop rests, Pad & Strap Assembly
2- " " , iron

Now for my guess but no conformation as fact:

Since the branch included prop rests iron, along with the pad and strap assembly, perhaps when Ford sold the vehicles in late 1925 they just put a rubber plug in the body hole of the vehicle. Now if you were to buy a top boot you would actually put the top down so the other hardware was provided to allow one to do this. Again this is only a guess on my part, but the items supplied is a documented fact from the Dec 2nd 1925 New York branch letter!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 05:16 pm:

What you say is true. They put a hard rubber plug with a soft center in the hole, and they started doing this in '21 or 22 with the new style bodies. They also eliminated the top boots at that time, because I guess not that many people were putting their tops down any more, not to mention it saved Ford money!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 05:19 pm:

Arnie, it would be nice to see a copy of the letter if you can get a copy. It also could be all the parts needed were listed, so if you needed them all, you could order all the parts. If you already had and did not need the top rests and pads, you may have had the option to just not check those items and buy only what you needed. The letter is probably speaking of the tan canvas top boot and gypsy curtains offered as a "sport touring" option. I have never seen a "black" set of gypsy curtains mentioned as a option in original era literature. Black may have been available back then, but I have never seen them mentioned. I believe the "black" gypsy curtains are a modern offering. But that is just my belief as I can not say for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 06:10 pm:

My Dec. 7th. 23' roadster has rubber plugs and not top supports. Car is unrestored.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

My 27 Canadian touring was original when I bought it and had the plugs. No top supports.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

My 27 touring had the plugs. Popped them, screwed in the rods and mounted saddles. Ordered bows and top and good to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

I have a NOS gypsy curtain, and it is tan. Not owning a '26, I have no idea if the touring and roadster are the same or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 10:11 pm:

Larry the gypsy curtain is the same for the 26 and 27 roadster or touring. It attaches to the windshield post and then has a spring loaded hook that hooks into the hole in the top of the door for the side curtain rods. The spring is to keep it tight and stretch as the door is opened or closed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 09:39 am:

BTW, if anyone needs new rubber plugs, we make 'em. They are available from Langs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

Our 23 touring that has been in the wife's family since 26 had plugs and no supports or saddles. I pulled the plugs and bought rods and saddles since we drop the top frequently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 11:25 am:

Donnie:

Send me your mailing address and I will send you a copy of the letter. I do not have equipment to put it in a message.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration