New Day Timer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: New Day Timer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john a sellers on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 07:25 pm:

once again I must admit that i am working on my 1st model T a 25 roadster. Had it running last week end but it was over heating. Pulled the radiator
today and found some crap in the bottom hose neck.
don't know if it was enough to reduce flow or not.
but on to my question, several of you indicated that timing could cause over heating so I pulled the timer and read all the threads I could find.
looks like mine is a New Day timer, one of the
old type, 'no S'. should I keep it or replace it?
It does not seem to be excessively worn, and does any one recommend the timer sold by TWComponents
in Noblesville Indiana?
Thanks
JOHN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 08:08 pm:

I run a old New Day, works great. Just did a 400 mile tour and only got hot at the end of a 12 mile grade. My fault, I pushed to hard. Where you set the spark can cause a heating problem. Search for timing/spark settings, lots of good info on how to set the spark in different conditions. I did just order a TW for a friend, all the research I did shows it to be a good unit. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john a sellers on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

THANKS
Do you use any lube on the new day, or does it run dry?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 08:38 pm:

John, I really like the TW timers. They run excellent.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 08:55 pm:

The old New Day works very well with very low maintenance. If you have the spark rod set so that the spark comes just after top dead center, it is timed correctly. After starting the engine pull the spark lever down as far as the engine increases in speed and runs smoothly. If it lopes, you have it too far advanced. If it slows down it is too retarded. The best spot is usually about 3/4 way down. When pulling a steep hill, about 1/2 way down. The best spot is where the engine seems to run smoothest. If it still overheats, the problem is not in the spark setting. The fuel mixture should also be where it runs smoothest and fastest.

Retarded spark or lean fuel mixture can cause overheating, but the main reason is a bad radiator. If the radiator is plugged up it can overheat or if the fins are loose on the tubes, it can also overheat. An older radiator usually runs hotter than a newer one. From the description of partially plugged lower neck. I would suspect the radiator to be the cause of your problem.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 09:10 pm:

I've got over 50,000 miles on New Day timers. Wouldn't use any thing else. I'm just guessing, it's probably the third or 4th one. They just seem to go forever. I just completed a 411 mile tour with one, and never lifted the hood, but sometimes you have to blow the dust out of them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 11:16 pm:

The New Day is excellent. Needs no oiling. The only problem with them I'm aware of is that sometimes the brush is a bronze material that's too hard and wears the casing and contacts. The cure for that is to file or grind a generator brush to fit as a replacement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 09:06 am:

And I cant understand why nobody is making New Day timers with good materials like the originals. The repo brushes are pretty good.

There are all kinds of timers that are reproduced with good materials and maybe better than their original counterparts. They sell pretty well. People would buy the New Days too. They ranked among the best back in the T era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 09:25 am:

I'm not 100% positive on this, but it appears some of the reproduced brushes are off on the timing. If they go to the trouble of reproducing that brush, why not get the slot in the proper place?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration