Sealed Bearings For A Model A Ford Transmission

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Sealed Bearings For A Model A Ford Transmission
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 12:12 am:

Just finished replacing the original input and output unsealed bearings in my Model A transmission with modern double sealed bearings. The original rear out put shaft bearing was allowing gear oil to run down the torque tube and over filling the rear end. The sealed replacement bearing I selected were Torrington-Fafnir P/N 208PP (Front) and P/N 306PP (Rear).
A lot of steep hills where I live. I purchased both sealed replacement bearing on e-bay for less than what one bearing would cost at NAPA. These were not made in China.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 01:56 pm:

I usually don't buy bearings at NAPA, always go to a bearing store. They are most always cheaper.
I also try not to order them from old car supply places because it is easier to exchange the wrong bearing for the right one when you buy it locally.
Most large cities or cosmopolitan areas have one or two places that just sell bearings, chains belts, seals, special lubricants & gear oil and that sort of thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 02:11 pm:

Les,Would these bearings work for 29 30 31 the same?? Thank you Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 11:55 pm:

Kenneth......Yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 02:57 pm:

I too use sealed bearings in my A transmission rebuilds, BUT I take off the seal on the inside so the transmission lube can keep the bearings lubed. Added insurance, I figure!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 01:22 am:

David, I know some like to remove the inside seal and some do not. Keeping both seals helps keep out any contaminants from getting inside the bearing. Keeping bearings lubed is very important....however, keeping metal flakes or other contamination out of ball bearing is equally important. Sealed bearing are pre-lubed to last the life time of each bearing. Having both seals provides additional reliability that transmission gear lube will not leak thru the bearing compared to bearings with only one seal.
Just my thoughts.....others may not agree.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 01:46 am:

Les,
yeah, tough decision! Everything has a ying & yang. My worry was if the bearing had enough factory lube in it! Ya never know!
David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 12:21 am:

The granddaughter and I drove the model A today and went up and down numerous steep hills where I live in Fallbrook, Ca. Parked the car and let it sit for several hrs on my drive way. One small drop of oil was leaked on my drive way.....what a difference from before. I only installed the sealed bearings....no other modification were made. Very happy with the results.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration