Distributor timing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Distributor timing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 01:50 pm:

I purchased my 26 roadster a few years ago with a VW .009 distributor in place of the timer. I had the engine rebuilt a few months ago and now I am fouling spark plugs. They are very black and dusty like it's running too rich. I have been thru the carb a few times and everything looks great so I was thinking the timing might be off. With the spark lever all the way up and the front piston at t d c the rotor is pointing right at # one spark plug wire on the cap. With the lever then pulled down to the 9:oo position the rotor is pointing advanced of that spark plug wire. Does this sound right to you. The car runs good and very smooth for a few days of driving until the plugs foul. I clean them and put them back in and it runs good again. At full advance should it be. BTDC? ATDC?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 02:20 pm:

It sound if your carb is just set too rich--Have you tried turning the needle in some to lean it out?

Also, it depends on how the distributor is set in as to the range the advance lever will be. All the way up may not be what the engine wants to start. Example, my Texas T distrib the way everything is set up works best with a few notches down (about an inch) to start and about another inch or so for max advanced. Anything out of that range and it runs like crap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 10:29 pm:

Yeah Chad I tried everything to adjust the carb. I had replaced the carb before the engine rebuild with a rebuilt one. The shop that did the engine work suggested a stormerg 85 but that tends to run into a little cash. I know it's running rich I just can't seem to get this carb right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 12:13 am:

Scott,
I think your carburetor is floating. Watch your Float valve and seat, I think they are leaking.

About Your ignition.
To get a good start you should set your distributor at 5ATDC. This will keep your bendix spring in one piece.
To set this, do not use the rotor, use the contact points. They should just open at this point. Connect a test light between the distributor terminal and the + battery. As the contacts are close your light should light up, as the contacts just open the light should get out. This is the point you should set your ignition to start your engine.
Watch the running direction of your rotor while turning the engine by hand. As it go left, your distributor body should go right when you are pulling the timing rod down. If the rotor turns right the body should go left.
As Chad said, with the rod half way down your engine should run smooth and you should find 15 to 20 BTDC.
Hope this helps
Good luck
Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 12:19 am:

Scott, I time the distributor on my TT a little different. I bring it up on #1 compression to TDC then rotate past TDC moving the piston down 1/16". Then I rotate the distributor until the points just open. I use an ohm meter for this and a long screwdriver resting on the piston to find true TDC. As you said spark lever up. My TT has a period Bosch distributor. I only advance the spark lever about 1/4 down and leave it alone. I also run a NH carb. No carbon on the plugs at all. Have you looked at the float level? Could be high. Also, what color is the spark at the plug? PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 10:56 am:

Thanks Andre and Pat. That was the info I was looking for.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration