Buffalo wire Wheels - how do you straighten the lock rings?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Buffalo wire Wheels - how do you straighten the lock rings?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 02:37 pm:

Hi all!

It's been awhile since I last posted...had a lot going on ( and added some things to the T).

I finally got the chance to get hands on a Ruckstell , rebuilt it and installed 3:1 gearing...so it really moves now! 65 MPH is effortless.... And it was still pulling at 72.

I also managed to acquire a set of 19" snap-ring Buffalo pin-Drive Wire Wheels. The only thing I need to do....is straighten the spring steel lock rings. Two are bent open a bit too much to stay on the wheel tight enough...the seam gap is just too big..

Has anyone had experience fixing these?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 04:38 pm:

The best proper professional advice is to NEVER straighten a ring.
HOWEVER.
The reality today is that replacement rings are not easily available. And replacement rings that can be had may not be a proper fit. Rings need to be straightened if these type of wheels are going to be used. There really is no compelling reason not to use them either. Proper precautions when mounting and airing up tires make them nearly as safe as modern steel drop-center rims (and probably safer than some of the fancy rims commonly used today). The deadly dangers attributed to this type of two-piece rim were due almost entirely to improper training, carelessness, and liability concerns.
I have straightened several such rings. I usually just bend carefully between the angle bracing of my car-trailer's tongue. Make sure that they spring easily to a very flat plane with the two ends basically just touching. Make sure that they are almost perfectly round. I usually just carefully check the fit in the rim. Sometimes it helps to draw a circle of the right size on a piece of cardboard to help in tweaking the ring back to round.

I should point out, that the major real risk to straightening rings is the possibility of cracking them. In theory, bending the rim by being careless while removing it from the rim, and then bending it back again to straight, could develop a crack which could in turn eventually result in a ring breaking and blowing out. Not very likely, but always wise to examine these rings for any sign of cracking. These rings were made by endless runs of special rolled steel and occasionally welded in the factory. I did have one (old, used, obviously abused) that broke at a factory weld many years ago.
Good luck with your wheels!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

Hmm...good advice. I tweaked on one gently with my Hydraulic press, but didn't go further for fear of damaging it....and not having complete control, hence the reason for my post. If I could keep the sides flat and true...it might be the easiest for bending control.

I doubt heat would be advised?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

I have used a metal forming company near Everett Wa with excellent results. They actually have metal rolling machines for all sizes of material.

I had the rims, and lock rings rerolled for my 1912 Waverley Electric. When I started the rims and the rings were oblong and not circular. When they finished the rims easily slid over the fellows and after mounting the tires all lock rings fit perfectly down into the recesses. When the tires were inflated all rings seated perfectly. No heat was applied, they cold rolled them back to their original configuration. I know of several sets of wheels and rims rerolled by the same company with good results.

I believe the cost was $100 per wheels including the rims and both lock rings. I watched them as they actually rolled a rather large I beam into a circular form. In front of their office they have a 12" I beam rolled into a cork screw. These guys are very good at what they do.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 01:06 am:

BrassCarGuy,

Excellent tip! Can you give me a name? Would like to get in contact with them....see what they would charge to straighten out my two bad snap rings.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration