Update on our son's 1914 Speedster project

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Update on our son's 1914 Speedster project
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Gorman on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 03:07 pm:

Our son is building a 1914 Speedster for his Junior project in high school as part of the Math and Science Academy. With a lot of help from friends and our local chapter of the Horseless Carriage club he is making good progress. Here are some pictures of the recently "Z'd" frame and and the radar mocked up with the Torpedo hood. The Z took out 7" and will lower the back 4".

Z'd frame is ready for POR-15
Z'd frame is ready for POR-15.

Another view after POR-15 is applied
Another view after POR-15 is applied.

Those that know our son will understand the Moto-Meter
Those that know our son will understand the Moto-Meter.

(Message edited by adminchris on July 22, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 03:15 pm:

The Z in the frame looks great, how did you do it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Gorman on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 03:44 pm:

It was an all day process at a friend's garage/shop. First a section of metal is cut out of the frame. Second the length is taken out to shorten the overall length by 7". Then by hand the ends were carefully heated and bent on each side to create the "Z" in the frame. The ends were welded back together and checked for square. A piece to fill in the center section of the frame rail was cut and welded in.

This brief description makes it sound much easier than it actually was. To do it right a real craftsman is needed as this it part mad scientist and part artist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 03:55 pm:

Its just not right that he has that and I don't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Gorman on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 03:59 pm:

Here's a picture that will better explain the process of how the frame was altered.

(Message edited by adminchris on July 22, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 05:06 pm:

Well done! Your son is very lucky to have a parent like you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Gorman on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

Thank you John. We are just humbled by the generosity and support he has received from our friends in the hobby. Old car people are the best!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 05:29 pm:

That is nice work...the way a Z'd frame should be done. Ford's 999 II has the frame Z'd similarly, but cannot be seen behind the rear tire.
racer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 06:27 pm:

Chris, That looks like a truck frame. Good choice for a speedster. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 07:09 pm:

Sorry Scott, a pre 22 car frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 02:39 pm:

Jerome, The crossmember looks to have the curve of a TT and it has 2 holes outboard for bolting the bed on. He also said they removed 7 inches. A stock frame would end up to short. The TT frame is longer. Anyway thats what my eyes see, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Gorman on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 07:23 pm:

Jerome is correct this a pre '22 car frame. The reason to shorten the frame was to improve the proportions of this lowered speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 03:27 pm:

Been a working on dissembling my TT chassis I picked up as few weeks ago. Here is a picture of the rear cross member.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 04:35 pm:

Jerome,
Looks like you picked up a good TT chassis...replete with an auxiliary transmission. What's it gonna be? Thread drift...sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Holman on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 12:18 pm:

Where did you get the fuel tank? I like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 04:04 pm:

John, finished up pulling it apart on Saturday. The trans is going in a TT project, have the brackets to shorten up the driveline. The Chicago trans is 10.75in long, I think the Watford is longer so if somebody is looking to put one in a TT here is what they need. I'll be using the frame brackets that lengthen the wheel base with out cutting the rods or ds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

Dan,

That's not Chris's car shown in John's posting, nor is it John's. That belongs to The Henry Ford. You'd have to ask Henry himself where he got the tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 06:26 pm:

Dan and Jerry,
Regarding the fuel tank...that is Henry Ford's 999 II. I guess that is what you are talking about. See my profile where I replicated the car (sorta) and I copied the tank from photos. Not quite the same, but my version. I made cardboard templates of the oval shape and had Rootlieb make the tank. Was quite reasonable.. 25 years ago. I think that Rootlieb now makes a standard speedster oval tank as one of their products.
racer

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration