Tt rear axle can they be saved

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Tt rear axle can they be saved
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

Just posted a want ad for a pair the ones I have are very nice threads tapper keyway
But worn 1/8 in were the outer bearing rides
Sleeves mic round with no wear groove and bearing look OK and rollers mic 1/2" and tight
Any ideas if or how I could see about saving them or
Put them in my junk pile

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 06:19 pm:

If I knew what you were talking about I could possibly help. Post a photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 06:24 pm:

Bob, As large as the axles are I would think you could sleeve the axle. the bearing is very wide so the load is spread over a large area. I would keep the loads down a bit. I think my axles are 1.625 in Diameter. Thats huge. So if you use a good grease you should be fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 07:21 pm:

Bob, are you sure that the wear groove that you are seeing isn't from the axle rubbing on the outer seal retainer? Any wear in the outer Hyatt bearings or in the bearing sleeves will allow the axle to deflect and rub on the seal retainer.

I had a very similar problem with a set that I had and I also considered trying to fix them but was concerned about welding or machining the axle and ended up finding a pretty good set without grooves. To Scott's point, they are very heavy axles so repair may be possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

When I took mine apart I found the same thing on the right axle. The surface that the outer bearing rides on was worn down a good 1/8 inch the full length of the contact surface. I suppose a person with the equipment and skills could build up the worn area with weld then machine it back to the specified diameter. I don't have either so I found a replacement axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 09:12 pm:

I try get a pic next time I'm in the barn yes the axel in worn a good 1/8" all the way across were the outer bearing rides
I'm going tear it down for some reason the axel taken all the wear
Im leaning to sleeve it 8f anyone knows the correct diameter but I still look for good replacements

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

I can't prove this, but I believe that wear is the result of leaky inner felt, the one that contains the rear end oil. It is my theory that the oil washes out the outer bearing grease and thus causes the excessive wear.

So, be sure to replace those inner felts when you take it apart!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 10:18 pm:

Wondering if I turned the axel down and got oversized bearings anyone 3ver done that

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 06:54 pm:

I don't think you can get oversized Hyatt style bearings. However it is a possibility to turn down and place a sleeve over the axle to return to the proper size.

I am considering welding up the worn down area and smoothing it back out to the proper size on my axles because they are shortened axles already.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

Hey guys, I would never weld on an axle. And if you use a sleeve you can make it oversize to make up for worn Hyatt bearings. C 1144 stress proof material heated red hot and dropped in water will make a very nice bearing surface. Then grind to size and have fun, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 09:30 pm:

Scott, in my case, the axles have already been welded on when they were cut down and shortend. I agree the sleeve is the much better way to go if I can line the materials and a person with a lathe. I will be looking into that the more I think about it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration