Military Use of Model T's?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Military Use of Model T's?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

The Military Vehicle Presrvation Association is conducting a convoy this fall from Washington DC to San Diego along the Bankhead Hwy. While the current convoy will be made up of WWII, Korean and Vietnam era military vehicles including motorcycles, jeeps and trucks, it is replicating a 1920 convoy that followed the same route to explore the veseability of a military convoy route from the east coast to the west coast.
While researching a possible 1917 Model T project that I have inherited, I was trying to find out if the US military or any other allied country used the Model T for military applications.
The Ford Model T ambulance is a wel know use of the vehicle, but I can't find much, if any, photos or references to wwI or post war use of the Model T in militayr service.

Does anyone have some photos or suggestions for replicating a military Model T?

I'll hang up and listen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

On a historical note: no Model T Fords were used in the 1919 convoy from Washington, DC to San Francisco. It was mainly large, heavy trucks. It's been a while since I read the book below, but I believe that Ford Motor Company was not interested in participating or providing vehicles as they felt they already had a very good reputation and had nothing to prove. Such an investment by Ford would not be worth any benefit received. If they had used Fords, being light weight they probably would have performed much better than the vehicles that actually made the trip.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Road-Story-Transcontinental-Journey/dp/080506883X

You should find out if any Fords were used in the 1920 convoy. I have a sneaking suspicion the answer would be none.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

Yes Im unsure if there was a contract like in WW2
Or cars and truck were just ordered and used
Most ww1 T's and TT's I have seen were in England but there's a model T powered tank I believe at west point museum

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

Oh by the way there was an 1918 dodge on the Lincoln highway convoy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 09:10 pm:

We know the Germans used a huge number of TT trucks in North Africa during WW1.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/automotive-history-the-ford- model-t-in-world-war-i/
this article tells of thousands used by France, England and the U.S.
The use of ambulances was made popular by the writings of Ernest Hemmingway, he was an ambulance driver in WW1.
There was not much written about WW1 vehicles that mentions the makes of vehicles used.
It tells of Henry not wanting to cater to the war effort at first.
He first sold the French and U.S. government the T chassis with the understanding they would only be used for ambulances.
The chassis were shipped in black, soldiers painted some in olive drab.
It tells of an order for 11,000 model T Fords and another order fro 12002.
Later after Henry had a change of heart and mind there were T delivery pickups on the car chassis. There were also closed van bodies on the car and TT chassis.
It tells of an order for 11,000 model T Fords and another order for 12002
The pickups were shipped in a box that was used for the truck bed after the chassis was assembled.
I have seen pictures of those.
It tells of black sedans and pickups used on military bases used as staff cars and delivery vehicles.
I have seen pictures of staff cars in France that were model T touring cars, but I can not remember where I saw them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

I believe they also used tourings.

A friend of mine has a beautiful, panoramic photo of de-comissioned tourings - the largest single gathering of used Model T Fords I have ever seen in a photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 10:27 pm:

Nemmingway drove an ambulance once in WWI, Walt Disney never drove an ambulance in WWI.
Model T touring cars were commonly used in Europe by the AEF and Matthew G has a nice photo of a depot hack numbered to SSU524.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 06:48 am:

You asked for Allies uses- Australia used T's quite a lot in the Middle East. Quite a few photos on line at the Australian War Memorial.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 08:53 am:

Yeah, that's more what I'm thinking of. The ambulance does not light my fire like a nice Vickers hood ornament.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 06:19 pm:

Sorry Robert, but that is a Lewis not a Vickers:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

I have heard some of our Australian friends say that they wanted to only use two kinds of cars in Northern Africa during WWI. One was Rolls Royce, the other was Ford Model T. They were the only ones that would take all the abuse, and generally keep going or be reparable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 10:27 pm:

Found online:T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

found online:T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 10:54 pm:

The Brits used 1915 town cars to transport officers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 02:29 am:

Don't forget the Fords that were used to sin the props on the airplanes to start them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 09:18 am:

Interesting that absolutely no military markings on the staff car. Other than the color (presume OD green) that you would know this was a military vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 10:37 am:

I read somewhere that T's were mounted with Stokes mortars on an experimental basis, but never used in actual combat. I've never seen a picture of a T so mounted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

Don't forget the Polish FTB or TFC!!!!!

http://modelt.org/discus/messages/2/3196.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Martin, Sydney Australia on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 02:43 am:

This is my Canadian '16 chassis with WW1 General Service Wagon body

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 10:38 am:

Reading a little about the Model T MMGS. From what little I am discovering, the light patrol car was a Model T chassis and the MMGS was on a truck chassis. Here' a photo of a MMGS. Don't ask me what the initials stand for but it was considered a machine gun carrier as I understand it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 11:04 am:

Let's try this again . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 11:20 am:

MMGS Motarized Machine Gun Squad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

TFC or FTB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

I think I'm understanding these Model T's a little. The light patrol car is the "military" machine gun toting car in all the photos. The MMGS is Motorized Machine Gun Service and consisted of motorcycles, some with sidecars and some without and these converted Model T's. The polish turned a Model T truck chassis into the armored car version.
I'm leaning towards maybe taking this Model T salad I've got and playing with turning it into a light patrol car in time for the 100 year anniversary of the armistace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

Actually its just a car chassis and running gear :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 10:54 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 10:55 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 11:05 pm:

Here's a Russian Admiralty Pattern armored car on a regular T chassis.
http://www.landships.info/landships/car_articles.html?load=car_articles/armoured_tford.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 04:59 pm:

Is this the speedster version?
Howard Dennist

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration