Commemorating Edsel's 1915 Tour

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Commemorating Edsel's 1915 Tour
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 07:06 pm:

I just had this exchange of e-mails with John Meyer, editor of the Horseless Carriage Gazette. Apparently there's going to be commemorative tour this year of Edsel's tour, which is the subject of a recent thread on this website. I though you folks might like to see it. I have no stake in HVA or this tour, although I am a satisfied Hagerty customer.

Hi, John -

I'd have thought that a commemorative tour like this would have been given a bit more advance publicity. By now, most people with lots of time to kill during the summer have already made plans about what to do with it. Suddenly committing to a 34-day event has to be difficult. Also, it's not obvious to me from the HVA post that the tour will follow Edsel's route. Edsel started from Dearborn; it sounds as though the new tour is going to be coast-to-coast.

Someone on the Model T Ford Club of America website just posted a bunch of pictures of Edsel's tour. I commented that I had learned of Edsel's scrap book and that you had given it good ink in 2009. Here's the link:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/555577.html?1436799895

I will send your e-mail and my reply to the MTFCA website as a new thread, in case the T guys are interested.

Best regards, Gil

-----Original Message-----
To: Gil Fitzhugh Sr <oldcarfudd@aol.com>
Cc: Karl Darby <mercer20@aol.com>; HCCA <office@hcca.org>
Sent: Mon, Jul 13, 2015 5:47 pm
Subject: NOT an HCCA Tour

Good Afternoon Gil,

Remember that great photo book you discovered with Edsel Ford driving a Model T Ford to California after he graduated from college?

Ford Motor Company and Hagerty Insurance will be running that tour again this summer. Well almost. Hagerty owns their own club (HVA) so that they can pretend to represent more than 375,000 members. It looks better that way.

How did I find out about this? The Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum e-mailed me this press release:

(AUBURN) – The Historic Vehicle Association (HVA) is embarking on a cross-country tour following the same route Edsel Ford took to the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exhibition in San Francisco, California. The “Road Trip Century Celebration” is a thirty-four day, 2,400+ mile road trip celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Panama-Pacific International Exhibition.
The Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum and National Auto & Truck Museum in conjunction with the HVA will host a Cars & Coffee event to signify the Road Trip Century Celebration’s initial stop.
The Road Trip Century Celebration honors a century of adventure and personal travel by automobile. The Lincoln Highway and Old Trail Roads were established from New York to California and considered newly drivable. America also celebrated the completed Panama Canal, coast-to-coast telephone service and citizens who took to the roads to explore America. 1915 was considered the dawn of the Road Trip Century.
“It is so exciting for the Historic Vehicle Association to stop at the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum during this monumental journey because it is actually where automotive history took place,” said Kendra Klink, chief operating officer of the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum. “We encourage visitors to walk the same stairs as the original automobile designers, browse the same hallways, and to interact history. This event allows visitors to be a part of history.”
--
John C. Meyer III
editor, Horseless Carriage Gazette
24244 Hamlin St
West Hills CA 91307
818/703-7421
www.JohnCMeyerIII.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 05:05 pm:

Here is a news release about it....

I knew nothing about Edsel's trip before seeing this (which popped up on my Facebook page).

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/07/12/edsel-fords-wild-road-trip/3 0058739/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 05:59 pm:

Gilbert,

Thank you for the post.

I had read thru the thread illustrated w/ photos you reference.

How many young executives today would undertake such a venture ?

I had always had tremendous respect for Edsel.

He must have had a difficult life.

Freighter Jim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration