How many Ford Model T Engines?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: How many Ford Model T Engines?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 07:06 pm:

It is stated that there were 15 million or so Model Ts produced. The engines were produced up to the 1940's. So over 15 million engines have been produced? Then there are the M1918 tanks of the World War I era, that had twin Model T engines. Does any one have a count of the total Engines produced, and within that number how many and if possible a serial number series for the twin engine tanks with an approximate number surviving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 07:26 pm:

I didn't know about the M1918. It looks interesting.

http://preservedtanks.com/Profile.aspx?UniqueID=1283

http://maximietteita.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/ford-tank-m1918.html

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_WW1_Tanks.pdf

Can't help with serial numbers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

George,

From all the information I've read so far, all Model T engines were stamped with a serial number when they were assembled along with their transmission, manifolds etc. Bare replacement blocks were not stamped. The last Model T Engine assembled and logged on the engine log book maintained at the River Rouge Plant at that time was in Aug 4, 1941. It was serial number 15,176,888. There were 169,856 engines assembled after the last Model T car [not truck] rolled off the Highland Park assembly line in May 1927. Ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/sernos.htm Note cars could an probably were assembled at branch plants until parts were used up. But even engines assemblies that were assembled at a branch plant used the serial numbers sent to them from Highland Park and later the River Rouge. Note the exception of Canada in the next paragraph.

All Model T production world wide used the USA serial numbers up until Ford of Canada began assembling engines using USA supplied blocks etc. in May 1913. Those numbers need to be added to the total. And of course some dealers etc. could purchase New parts and assemble Model T engines at a later date – but the official Ford Factories stopped in Aug 4, 1941. [Technically the Ford engines in the 2003 anniversary cars might also be considered – but I have not added those to the mix.]

I’ll try to add Canadian information later.

If the very small number of Tanks used complete engine assemblies, then they are already included in that 15,176,888 number. From memory – I believe I recall seeing complete engine & transmissions in the tanks. But memory is not as good a photos and documentation.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 09:11 pm:

George,

From the Jan 1987 letter posted at http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/140611.html we have where Herman L. Smith the Historical Consultant for Ford of Canada listed C748010 or C748039 as the last documented Canadian serial number. They started with 1 back in May 1913. Those 748,010 added to the 15,924,848 on the USA engine logs should be 15,924,898 or if the higher Canadian number that ended in 39 is used then add 29 more engines for 15,924,927. That is actually higher than the 15,900,312 that Mr. Smith listed. Note many of us believe that the Canadian serial numbers were rounded off to even numbers from 1913 to 1919 but they should be representative.

Is that the exact number? It should be close but again some engine serial numbers that were shipped to a branch may not have been used up – especially to England in 1927. But the number should be reasonably close. And even though some engines did not go into a car i.e. they went into a tank or boat (I believe I read that Ford of Canada offered a factory nautical engine) to say at least 15,000,000 made it into a Model T or TT is a very conservative number.

Note there is a good article in one of the national club magazines on the Model T powered tank. I don’t have access to that at the moment, but it would/did clearly show the engines and how they were mounted etc.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

Wow. That is great information. I am Model T and Numbers nut.
Thanks Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 11:11 pm:

Mark,

If you like numerical information about the Model Ts, I would highly recommend Bruce McCalley's (RIP) "Model T Ford" or his "Model T Comprehensive Encyclopedia" CDs. [For anyone that is interested in obtaining a copy of Bruce’s CD that contains his “Updated Model T Book”, the “Price List of Parts,” “Ford Service,” and several other items the shipping was $6.25 in Mar 2015 and the other ordering information is available at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/333725.html?1357665853 ] His book and also the CD have numerous listing of production numbers by plant and calendar year starting in 1921 or 1922ish.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 06:41 pm:

Thanks Hap
I bought Bruce's hard cover book back in 1999. I don't remember a listing with the numbers after may 1927 adding up to anything close to 15,924,927 Model T engines being made. I have read it over and over.
Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 07:26 pm:

Mark, please read Hap's posts again. You'll have to add Canadian production to the US numbers in Bruce's book :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration