Dang! It's Hot!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Dang! It's Hot!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

Man, the weather is just plain hot! My son was messing around with his '78 F-100 that he just put a 460 in. Couldn't get it to run very well at all. He has a clear plastic fuel filter on it and it was obvious it was not pumping fuel reliably. The filter would sometimes be empty and even when you could see fuel in it, the spurting from the fuel pump was erratic. He was thinking his new fuel pump was bad, but I'm thinking he may have had vapor lock.

An hour later, we took the Touring out for a drive. Other than the unbearably hot air coming up through the pedal slots and the sweat soaked T-shirt, and the sun beginning to burn our bare legs, it was an enjoyable drive. But after an hour or so (And after passing a bank whose sign proudly proclaimed it was 101*F) the car began to sputter occasionally, especially when under load. My first thought was low fuel, but I remembered I had just filled up the day before, so there was only 40 miles on the tank, max. I believe the fuel was vaporizing in the fuel line. We had already decided we would head toward the house, as it was just hotter than it was fun. So I began thinking of a route home that would minimize the number of hills. It spit and sputtered several times, but made it home without incident. It never boiled over though, thanks to the Berg's radiator. And with no water pump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 08:54 pm:

It's been a very mild but very wet summer here in Ohio so far this year but today was a hot day. I'm outside most of the day repairing broken equipment, plumbing, windows , etc or on a tractor mowing 500 of the 1200 acre Boy Scout camp that I'm the ranger for. I too was thinking about how hot it is today but then I thought about in a couple of months I'll be spending 15 to 18 hours a day behind a snow plow keeping the roads and parking lots open for the winter campers I didn't think it's too hot after all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

Hal I'm jealous, its mid winter here. After starting work at 5.30 am in -10C I took the speedster for a wrap yesterday arvo & it was freezing. I would love a piece of that unbearable heat coming through my pedals lol. Dennis I'm a bit like you except thinking the other way around. In a few months it will be shorts & sunny's for me, can't wait!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 10:26 pm:

119 heat index then temp drop of 35 degrees in half hour, can hear my brick chimney moving against the celling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 10:28 pm:

I don't think Minnesota has been any hotter this year than any other year. As always the humidity is high and that makes it a bit uncomfortable. I just turned 65 about a month ago and I think extreme hot or cold temps affect me in a more negative way each year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

We have had a very pleasant spring and summer in Georgetown. Wettest and coolest in many years. It has not exceeded 100 degrees this year. Great Model T weather any time it is between 20 and 100 degrees!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

I am sorry, Sir, but THIS is hot:

Front gate thermometer, Foward Operating Base, Helmand Province, AFG
0730hrs and the needle is already pegged. It would be 20 degrees hotter by
noon, and temps never dipped below 110 from 01 June to 01 October.

Beautiful scenery, plenty of excitement, and a staggering heat that was beyond
explanation. I will never complain about the heat again. It just ain't that hot. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 07:26 am:

Burger,

You forgot to mention that when it is hot over here we strip down to shorts and no shirt, over there you're in full gear and back packs.

God bless the men and women in uniform where ever they are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 08:33 am:

Yep, Hot! My wife doesn't understand how I can work on the cars in this weather, I just turn on the sprinkler get wet make sure the fan is on in the work area and just do it. I can always find a way to cool off but with an under-active thyroid if I get cold I'm Done.:-) Bring on the dog days!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 08:35 am:

A little rain here every night. about sixty now this after noon it might hit seventy. Loren my friend landed a seventeen pound salmon yester day in a half an hour of fishing. You are allowed one in the Colombia and two in the Pacific. Love my T but there are other loves as well! Portland? You can have it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 05:47 pm:

Here in Branson it was 101 on a bank thermometer yesterday.

See separate thread on the Branson Tour.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

Keith,

If it is 101 at the bank just stay away from the bank! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

Forecast to reach 90F this weekend. First time in 2 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

Dennis - many thanks for the tip, but as you know, it's hot all over.... :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 12:14 am:

It is cold back up here in Wisconsin. Almost need to wear a jacket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 09:40 am:

Was so hot here in central Texas yesterday when a coyote was chasing a rabbit ......they were both walking!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 10:06 am:

No rain last night, sixty two now sixty six the high for today. Cant drive my T!--if I did it would be very dangerous with all the RVs and rigs hauling boats on the roads. In a few weeks with school starting our town will go back to its normal population.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 10:30 am:

Sixty here going for a sixty seven high. Washed a few layers of dust off the T and spot painted a lacquer thirty year old restoration that does not stand up to coast weather. Took it for a ten mile drive in town where thirty MPH is closely watched. The big rigs did not try to pass! FUN!

Think fishing is in order today!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration