Question on adding Vega steering box

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Question on adding Vega steering box
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn Nicodemus on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 08:33 am:

I have the Vega box mounted and the original steering shaft ( steering unit is from a 26 ) cut to size with a universal joint marrying the two units together. I have yet to connect the pitman arm to the original setup as it will require some modification due to frame lowering and the use of the Vega arm. It take 4 complete revolutions of the steering wheel to complete one rotation at the box. My question is with the 3 spline gear in the original wheel setup will the steering be to "slow" and if so what is the remedy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn Nicodemus on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 10:56 am:

After some thought I am going to keep this steering setup from the 26, will use it in my 22 project. I have an old column that I have removed the 3 spider gears from I'll drill and weld the two shafts together. Guess I should have looked at this earlier and could have saved posting for an answer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By WilliamThomas Forsythe on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 06:53 pm:

Hello Glen:

Over the past few years I received considerable advice and encouragement from Ralph Ricks, who passed away earlier this year.God bless him.

Consequently I contributed to the Forum, for the benefit of other members, my efforts in two specific areas, namely: '37 Ford Steering in our`12 Touring-dated May 04,2015 05:11 pm; and the accompanying subject-Front Wheel brakes to the Forefront again- dated May 04.2015 01:03 pm.
Until my discussions with Ralph, I too was looking seriously at the Vega boxes.My final choice was to stay with a Ford product, a `37 box that I rebuilt with all new components.(Note-With the 5:1 1926-27 steering box I had been running in our `12 for the past ten years, the steering wheel turned one and a third turns lock to lock. With the `37 box it now turns two and one third turns lock to lock.)
I am quite pleased with the results as when keeping up with traffic, cruising 45 to 50 mph the steering is quite pleasant.

I would like to recommend that you do as I did and replace your original Model T Ford steering column shaft, with a good quality new 0.750 diameter ground steel shaft that your local machine shop can easily cut the required keyway and thread the end to properly attach the Model T steering wheel.I am not comfortable with any welding in this critical area. Regards, Tom Forsythe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 11:08 pm:

It's hard to find a '37 box.
So many have gone into '35's.
Ralf seemed to think The '37 was a bit too slow. In that case a '35 should be just right.
I have a '35 that I took out of a '35 and replaced it with a '37. Big improvement. Much easier to steer the '35 now.
I have not installed it into my '26 touring yet. . I have a Sentra manual rack and pinion now. A bit too slow, but I can turn it lock-to lock with one finger.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration