Need help installing radiator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Need help installing radiator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Davis on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 09:40 am:

I just received a Brass works radiator
and a new install kit from Langs. My old Radiator wad put in with 2 bolts and washers. I can not figure out how the mounting kit works. I have a 25 touring. Any help would be appreciated. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 09:51 am:

Here are a couple of pics:

radiator

rad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 09:53 am:

If the mounting bolts don't line up your front cross member may need re-arched. A chain wrapped around the front frame rails and a jack pushing in the center of the cross member will correct that condition.
The bolt holes in the frame can be elongated some....however, too much can weaken and cause cracking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 09:56 am:

Bob,

Put these words and letters in your Google search box:

radiator install MTFCA

and one (or many) of the resulting "hits" should tell you all you want to know (and more!!)

Good Luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Davis on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 10:13 am:

Thank you everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 10:34 am:

Robert: I find it helpful if you have someone with you when installing the radiator mount kit. With the bottom plate stud and spring installed some times you need to push up to compress that lower spring a little (and they are tough when new)I have a friend put a large screwdriver and gently pry up this makes it much easier to start the castellated nut.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 10:39 am:

Lay it up there as suggested and make sure the holes align. Important! Help would be a good thing. The springs really can drive you nuts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 10:59 am:

I found on this forum a suggestion about using a wood wedge under the bottom plate to give you enough thread to start the top nut. If working by yourself this works great. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

Here's what I do. I put in the studs, nut at the bottom, the springs and upper thimble. Then without the radiator, I tighten it up which will draw the stud up and compress the spring. Then I install a tool or block of wood between the stud and the lower frame rail. Next back off the top nut and install the radiator. Put on the upper hose first so you don't have to bend it to fit it in place. Then put on the top thimble, nut, and tighten up. The lower hoses can be put on after the radiator is tightened. After the radiator is installed, I remove the wood or tool from below. Sometimes if the hood doesn't line up, you can tighten one side more than the other which will tilt the radiator slightly to one side or the other. Then put in the cotter pins.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration