Branson Tour

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Branson Tour
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 05:56 pm:

We're having a good time in Branson, but it's HOT!

Yesterday on a bank thermometer it was 101. Today was better - about mid 80's. On the way back from lunch in Rice Lake, it cooled to about 75 when it tried to rain. We got a few drops on the windshield, but that's all. Then it warmed up again.

This is a good tour for a Ruckstell or auxiliary transmission, and extra brakes. Disc brakes would be great, but I don't have them. LOTS of steep hills.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Doty New Salisbury, IN on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 06:44 pm:

Keith

Glad you're having a good time.

It sounds like my kind of roads.

Say hi to Scott and Carren for us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

Post some photos please. My aunt and uncle live near Reed Springs. They said they saw several Ts yesterday. Must have been some of ya'll. Have a good time and be safe...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 09:09 pm:

There are about 150 cars here, but I forgot to bring a camera. I have disc brakes on my car and like them a lot, especially in this kind of terrain (Ozarks). Great Model T roads in this area! :-)

There are lots of T folks I know on this tour including several Forum folks, so I'm having a great time visiting with everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 09:56 pm:

Kim - I'll pass on your greetings to Scott and Carren.

Donnie - I've taken a few pictures, but not only is picture posting something I have trouble with, I forgot the adapter to down load pictures from the camera to the 'puter. Bummer.

The weather forecast for Branson is to be in the 90's all week. Ya, that means HOT....really hot. On our '26 Roadster Pickup, we have both parts of our windshield wide open all the time & the breeze feels good.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 09:23 am:

Mike, have fun for both of us. My car is scattered all over the shop and farm at this time. Its looking like it may have been the driveshaft/u-joint/rear end spider gears that failed on the Tin Lizzie tour. Pictures, someone. ??? You know that they say "It never really happened" if there are no pics to prove it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 09:26 am:

Keith, I forgot. Depending on your camera, You can sometimes just remove the SD card and plug it into a SD slot in your computer. No adapter needed. Have fun ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 11:45 am:

I am kind of surprised the MTFCI decided to hold a tour in the Ozarks this time of year. Having attended college down that way, I can tell you that the heat and humidity start in early May and don't leave until early October. IMHO the springs and falls are the best times to enjoy the weather and the scenic beauty of the area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 01:16 pm:

Well, it's 90% humidity today, looking for a high temp of 95. I hardly ever drive my Runabout with the top up, but I am this week. The shade is welcome.

I discovered that with the top up and the top of the windshield tipped back one notch, the two form a funnel. That funnel effect sends air rushing through the cab over the top of my head, and that air is moving so fast it actually feels cool! Then the air curls around the top and seat and it blows the hot air away from my feet.

But you're correct, Kevin, it's still hot, and the many folks here from MN and WI and MI are quick to point that out. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 01:19 pm:

OT, but Kevin, where did you go to college? I graduated from the University of Missouri at Rolla in 1978.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

p.s. -- Some folks are driving modern on the 100-mile days. I might do that tomorrow. The temp and humidity are predicted to be the same as today, with a similar heat index of 105.

We had a 50-mile tour this morning, and that wasn't bad. This afternoon is the youth auction and the presentation of awards from the judging last Sunday, so we'll be in the a.c. the rest of the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 02:08 pm:

Keith, Save some of the fun you are having for next year when Vonnie and I are planning on going on the Branson Tour and we want to see you there. You can have the rest of the fun then. Sure would like to see you folks! Vonnie's is less than 2 weeks out of LSI and is doing great. (Laser Spine Institute, in Tampa)

Have spine, can now travel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 08:00 pm:

Mark, I graduated from Southern Ill Univ-Carbondale in 1976 on the east side of the Ozarks. Same weather as Branson and the rest of the Ozarks. Beautiful falls, wonderful springs when the woods bloom, winters short ( usually snows four times and melts the next day), but beastly hot and humid summers from early May to early October. Now that I live in the frozen tundra of far northern WI, I really miss those great, long falls and springs. Up here, spring and fall are two week events. And winter lasts an eternity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 09:55 am:

The Youth Auction was held yesterday afternoon. Articles were donated by members, and the proceeds from the auction go to the MTFCI Youth Scholarship Foundation. The bidding was spirited at times. :-)

The item which brought the most money was a Weaver Auto Twin Jack, which is the subject of this Forum thread from a year ago:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/447199.html?1401042014

Ron Patterson donated the jack to the auction, and it brought $550. Dave and Karen Simmering were the winning bidders. Ron also donated a book for which Dan Treace paid $350 (give or take $25, I don't remember for sure).

So Ron's donations netted the Youth Foundation about $900. Thanks, Ron, and thanks to the winning bidders.

We're back on the road today, for another 100-mile drive through the beautiful Ozarks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 05:47 pm:

Pictures, Please .....or did the heat melt the cameras .. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

Here is one. Gord Koll's touring, Chad Bumgarner's touring, my truck and, Brian Dowell's roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 08:42 pm:

BTW, we toured all week and only had a sheared timer pin and a plugged fuel line. That is Table Rock lake in the background.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 09:57 pm:

Here are a few more, had too much fun driving the roads around Branson to take many pictures. Great fun, greater friends ever!

Sneak pics of the two pedal, two lever 1909 serial number 3xx that won the Stynoski Trophy!

Couplet

Mike Walker ran fast all week in his neat runabout pickup!

Liked this steering wheel, esp. after eating all week, ice crème at each stop! Gotta get one :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 09:10 am:

Neat Pictures Dan!!! Thank's!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 10:15 am:

Lots of neat cars there, but my favorite is that sweet 1915 coupelet. It's a gorgeous thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 03:02 pm:

Although that Coupelet is "brassed up" like a '15, it was built late in 1915 and is actually a '16 model year car. It belongs to Jean (and Bill) Barth.

The real treat for me was seeing (and touring with) Dave and Karen Simmering's '17 fixed-top Coupelet. There are 5 known to exist, and I had not seen one in real life until this past week. I hope someone has some pics of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 07:40 pm:

It was hot, hilly and a lot of curves. My left rear tire even passed me on a curve. I had a lot of fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

Thanks for the pics, I wish I could have made it. Other than the heat, looks like it was a lot of fun.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willard Revaz on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 09:19 pm:

Seeing these 2 Coupelets to me was more spectacular than a 2-lever 1909. Dave has a rare car. Too bad he lost the unique headlight rim while on the road one day and it got severely flattened. Two Coupelets

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 04:08 am:

Fantastic pictures all! So many wonderful cars. Thanks to those that posted them.
Drive safely home. W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 09:19 am:

Willard -- Thanks for posting the pic of Dave & Karen's car. The headlight ring on it wouldn't be anything special; it's the same as other '16-'25 headlights. It was only the early 15's which had different (larger) headlights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 09:25 am:

Mike

The rim is with the 4 round tabs for the clear round lens, the later ones have the big long tabs for the flat edged Ford 'H' lens.

Tabs for the round lens.

Typical tabs for the Ford 'H' lens

The rims on Dave's car were matching with "Brown" script. Saw the flattened one sitting on his passenger set, was really squished flat by a passing auto! :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 10:54 am:

Dan, PM or e-mail to dobro (at) artelco.com a good pic or description of what he needs. I have some of the small tab rims and some are "Brown" script. for some reason I seem to keep any thing with "Brown" on it :-) :-) I may have what he needs....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 11:04 am:

Dean Wanfelt bought a bunch of rims from me with the clips you are looking for he might have a few left, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 11:48 am:

Thanks for the info, Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 12:24 pm:

James Rogers:
My first trip to Branson was in 1950 for a Junior/Senior sneak day! High School party! There was nothing in Branson but the small down town and Lake Taneycomo. We came down from Norwood ,Mo where I graduated from High School in 1952. My wife and I were in Mo some years later for a family reunion and took a trip (modern car) and came up from the south part of the lake area and saw what Branson looked like-OMG what a difference, we had to go out of town and get some ground to stand on as there was a huge crowd, somewhere in the 4th of July time. I laugh everytime I think about it. I have been there on twice since 1950. Merle Haggard lives about 8 miles east of where I live and he had thought about moving there a few years ago but changed his mind because of the big crowds of people according to his late business manager.
Still a great place to see good entertainment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 05:29 pm:

I was not impressed with the Branson area, entirely to many tourist and the streets had way to much traffic. Also the motel had three buildings and I spend a lot of time going from building to building trying to attend the various club activities
The tour was fairly good but I did get tired of the turns and the up and down roads, I guess I lived in gently rolling hills to long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

Willie - I agree. Too much traffic and too many hills.

I also spent a lot of time going between the three buildings. A 9 story building with good elevators would be better than the three buildings with three floors each, but you have to take what you get.

This tour could have been called "Hills and Heat", as that is what it was.

Now that I've said all that, we always enjoy Model T Tours. Model T friends make it good.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

Back in the early 1970s, when I was starting to look for a place to buy, I thought about the Branson area and also the Eureka Springs area. Ozark land was not worth much then. At that time there was maybe 10 buildings from the edge of the down town Branson area and all the way to Silver Dollar City. All those motels, Wal Marts, Shows, Gas stations, and everything else you see today, was not there. Nothing there but trees and rocks. I could have bought almost any piece of land along hwy 76 (the strip) for 100.00 per acre. Yes I typed 100.00 per acre. But who wanted it. It all was hill side land and very rocky. At the same time, in Eureka Springs Arkansas, almost 90 percent of the buildings in town were empty and the city had condemned them. The city would sell you any empty building you wanted for 150.00, but you had to open a business of some kind (anything that was open 5 days a week) and after a year it became yours to do whatever you wanted to do with it. I talked my self out of that deal because all the streets in town were still gravel, and while most of the 1800s early 1900s vintage buildings were still solid and not falling down, they were all "run down" So I thought "where were my customers, going to come from". Today there are thousands upon thousands of tourists that visit each place. Both of those were my chance to make a million, but OH well.... :-) ... maybe next time ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

You guys and "the heat" ...

This photo was taken at 0730hrs and the needle was already buried. Helmand Province, AFG.
It never cooled below 110º between 01 June and 01 October. Now put on 60lbs of gear and let's
go on a mission ! Never mind the dysentery, the MRE's for weeks on end, wearing the same
clothes for days or sometimes weeks, no showers ....

If I weren't in such a fine mood right now, I might be inclined to call you guys a bunch of whiners. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration