Lock wire alloy - steel or brass?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Lock wire alloy - steel or brass?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 09:05 am:

In taking apart my transmission I found that all of the lock wire is made of brass. It makes sense that if it breaks it may do less damage compared to steel. Are there any recommendations either way on this subject?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 09:08 am:

Justin,

Brass is the only way to go inside the engine.
If steel is used and any breaks loose it can be picked up by the magnets in the magneto and short the mag coils.

The locations for brass wire would be wiring the crank flange bolts, and the the drive plate bolts on the transmission.

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 10:43 am:

Use aircraft wire, it is SS. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 01:32 pm:

I always use SS wire, since it's strong, non-magnetic, and I have it readily available. I suppose brass would be easier on the triple gears if some should get in there.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration