Late 26 Model T bare chassis - rear running light placement when delivered to dealers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Late 26 Model T bare chassis - rear running light placement when delivered to dealers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Rogahn on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 12:50 pm:

I'm working on getting a late T chassis ready for this year's Old Car Festival. I think it would be neat to have a bare chassis along side finished wood bodied cars to show how they came from the factory and were bodied later. She will get a body next year.

I am wondering if the chassis came shipped with a tail lamp attached to the frame somewhere? Hap Tuck showed some pictures on other posts of earlier T chassis that had oil lamps laying on the frame as well as tucked under/behind the frame mounted gas tanks. This is a starter T, so should have had electric everything including the tail lamp..

The add I found showing the improved T chassis (probably from Hap's collection as well) shows no tail lamp in the drawings but does say it comes with it. Any chance there's a photo somewhere that shows how and if they were delivered to dealers with a lamp? Should I just coil the wire up and not include the lamp?

I'm trying my best to get the chassis back to what the sketch shows in the add... I don't have a battery case, tire pump or tool set.

Second question is about the side view of the chassis in the pic of the short carb adjustment rod just below the steering column. I can see that this one rod would be dual purpose (carb adjustment and choke pull) with a L4 or NH. What about those cars that came with a vaporizer? Did they not come with a choke pull on the commercial chassis? I added a separate one but will remove it if it's not correct.

Thanks to all for your help!

Aaron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Rogahn on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 09:30 pm:

Correction. The pic was from a posting by Brent Terry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 09:57 am:

Aaron

The Vaporizer uses the 'dual' method, only one rod for choke and carb adj.

Not sure where the electric tail lamp on a bare chassis would go for '26-'27. That style would be the tea cup on a license bracket sans the fender bracket.

So that tail lamp could have been just bolted to the rear cross member in one of the holes punched for the rear bumper.

(Note this license plate bracket is modified with a bit of welding in a patch plate)

This older post shows a close up photo of reflection in show room glass of an earlier chassis and seems that the oil tail lamp is bolted to the rear cross member on that bare chassis.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/203646.html?1302320230

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Rogahn on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

Thanks Dan, that info is very helpful. I'll post a pic when I finish making the changes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

Aaron, I notice that the chassis in the pics above seem to show an ignition switch panel that has the early (25 and earlier) "rectangle" shape switch panel instead of the improved "oval" switch panel. I would think the Improved model chassis would have the oval panel. I have both styles of the chassis ignition panel brackets for mounting the switch panels. One is rectangle and one is oval.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Rogahn on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 08:18 pm:

Donnie, yea, my T has that bracket with the improved dash panel in it. Thanks for pointing out the dash in the pic... I'm guessing Ford used up the early parts first as they usually did. I think this pic is of an early 26 chassis due to the headlights, dash and wheels shown.

I submitted my entry in the old car festival... Hope it gets accepted. I think it would be neat to show what Ford supplied to independent body makers.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration