Front Seat Rear Sheet metal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Front Seat Rear Sheet metal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 01:41 pm:

I have a 1923 Touring
I am getting desperate. I have ask others to help me figure out how high above the sill, is the bottom rear of the front seat sheet metal. I need to position metal rails (both sides and across the back) where they fasten to the front seat rear pillars. Any dimensions will help.
Thank you, Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 03:52 pm:

Sounds like you might be installing a roadster seat frame in a Touring. The rails for the Touring rest on the rear seat toe kick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 05:00 pm:

You may be correct, but I do not have a rear seat kick panel. I have researched the height of the kick panel, found many photos, but no dimensions. I will keep shoveling.
Thank you-Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 11:12 pm:

Paul,

If you can post a photo of what you want the dimensions for, that might be helpful.

Also please confirm you are working with a low cowl 1921-1923 body that has the narrow arm rest but does Not have the high cowl.

Also, from memory, I thought I read you had a copy of Leon Parker’s wood plans. If not, Leon’s e-mail address is: (remove the nospam) nospamford1914@bellsouth.net . Customer comment at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/198934.html?1300828585 see the last entry. If you have his plans, they should include some information about fitting the sheet metal and wood pieces together. It is a little mixture of art and science (i.e. using both to establish where to drill the holes etc.).

Please see the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/32458.html and also http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/32458.html You will see that the bottom of the rear seat toe panel sets on the wood sill and extends down in-between the wood sills for the floor boards to sit on. I think that panel along with the wood plans will determine where the rear seat frame will go.

Photos of 1923 low cowl roadster seat area – see: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/258910.html I suspect, but I do NOT know – that the height would be about the same for the seat frame.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 10:56 pm:

The Front seat toe board is "self-determining" when it comes to how high it is, because of the fact that the seat back attaches directly to it and then you attach your side rails for the spring to sit on forming the complete box. Here's a shot showing the placement of the toe board for the front seat box.

What I did was to temporarily attach the rear seat panel as it was to be put in the car. (After the side panels are on). That gave me the height from the sill where the top of the toe panel would be.

toe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

For a touring, the rear seat box is assembled as a complete unit into the body of the car.

In that same touring, the seat box for the front is built into body one piece at a time: some before the side panels of the body are attached, some after the sides are attached.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 11:26 pm:

William is right!!! but make sure it don't push the ribs apart as that will mess up the top line of the body.you don't want a zig zag.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 09:24 am:

Paul,

The dimension from the top of the body sill to the bottom of the rear of the seat riser is 4 1/2". Perspective in this picture makes it look like a bit more, but the real number is 4 1/2".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 10:40 am:

Royce, that is exactly what I was looking for. That measurement. Just putting my shoes on and grabbing my tape measure and heading to my shop.
Thank you-Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 03:37 pm:

1923 Touring
Charley and Leon and others: I understand how important it is to not have a ziz zag outside profile for the sheet metal. Using Leon's plans, I bolted in the Steel Pillars (rear seat, both sides), measured the outside dim. and I come out with 45 1/4", 2" short of the distance you (Charley) sent me. Looking at the plans, it looks like the Rail (rear seat-both sides) is bolted to the top of the steel pillar, using stove bolts. I also clamped the RH rear door in place in order to establish a straight line forward. One more question; should the straight line continue to the rear steel pillars. My goal for today was/is to determine a true center line, to establish the final position of the wood pillars.
Thank you-Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 07:03 pm:

straight from the middle of the frt door to the rear of the rear door, starts to curve after that. Charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 07:10 pm:

p.s. the dim i gave you have worker for 30 years.i think you just should have let me do it $2000.00.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

Charley, thank you for the offer, BUT I am using your dimensions and everything is falling into place. Now eating a little crow.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration