Trouble in Paradise, Penn Valley, CA

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Trouble in Paradise, Penn Valley, CA
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 06:53 pm:

About 3 months ago I noticed Rusty (my '27 pick-up) had used up all of his adjustment on the low and brake bands. After a while the pedal was going to the floor in use. Then about 6 weeks ago I started having trouble getting up the steep portion of our dirt road. I slid the band (wood lining... don't try this at home... and NEVER with Kevlar linings) but instead of climing up to the main road I just lost all low band. The engine felt a bit punk also. So being in the middle of several projects I parked him until a few days ago.

Well, last week I lined up a set of bands with some new Jim Guinn wood. I finished the hogshead off band replacement today and jumped in to drive to town for the mail. Darned if Rusty wouldn't climb the road and just stalled out. Not even enough power to slide a band on low to get up to the main road (see above "NEVER" notation).

Hmm, it's not like Rusty to let me down like that. A quick check around and this is what I found:

No wonder he was running on three cylinders.

For those folks who couldn't make it out here is a photo of the spare coil I had in the lock box next to the one I replaced.

With the new coil there was no problem with the hill since I now have a low pedal again. But Rusty died at the post office... He's been sitting for about 2 months or more with the same 3 gallons in the tank, so addition of another 3 gallons thinned out the varnish enough to get me home!

Not the first time Mud Daubers have invaded my coil box!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 08:00 pm:

Terry: looks like rusty needs a coil box lid, we hate hose nasty little critters in Florida too. Insect season around these parts starts about march then dies down a little in july and august then picks back up until january. During bug season I wad up a couple of dryer sheets and stuff them in the coil box wherever I can get them seems to help:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 08:56 pm:

You must not have a lid. I don't think there is enough space for the daubers to get in with the lid on.
Have fun. You never know what will happen with a T.

I had one in my garage for a couple weeks installing a different rear wheel and Rocky Mountain Brakes. I noticed termite droppings under the car, and told the owner about it.

Now I have termites in my garage! Might be a co-incidence. I didn't notice them swarming at that time and they need a queen to reproduce. It's been about 3 years since that car was in my garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 09:15 pm:

We had termites at our "old" house, which we moved into new in 1981. Don't think a concrete pad floor will prevent them, they came up where the bathroom sink drain pipe went through the floor, worked their way up to the attic before I figured out what was going on. So years later we move out. In the garage, nice concrete floor, with concrete sidewalls up 6" I had an antique night stand (commode stand) that had been in Linda's family since new. Went to move it and YIKES, nothing really left but the hardwood front & top--termites came up a crack between the floor and the side wall pour. Also found them on the opposite wall, going through my plywood shelving!
"New" house (built about 1949) had termites at one time & was treated, you can smell the chlordane if you drill into the ground inside/under the house (long story there, for another day) --partly poured floor, party crawl space construction. Well, was working in the crawl space, and in the middle of the space, NOT NEAR any post or structure, was a termite tower working it's way up to the floor--not quite there yet! I keep an eye out now, but don't let folks tell you that treated wood and separation from soil will prevent those suckers-they can make their own "support structure!
I keep an eye out for those suckers.
Your story about the car with termites made me laugh, as I used to do body wood & my business card had a cartoon of a car with a trail behind it, and one guy (me) saying to another, "Looks like termites!" It was supposed to be a joke!
A joke son, I say a Joke!! But in real life??
BTW, the shop I worked in back then HAD termites & when they swarmed in the spring, you couldn't paint anything!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 09:56 pm:

Terry,
Our coil warranty does not cover acts of nature. We use a gasket under the coil box lid. Helps keep bugs and moisture out. Are you flying yet?
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 12:45 am:

Terry good see rusty still rolled bob sparks nv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 01:13 am:

Part of my ongoing house repair/rebuild is replacing termite-damaged lumber. Since I first discovered the problem several years ago I've had Terminix service. It's expensive, but cheaper than replacing half the house.

Under construction, about 1929.

Mud daubers and other critters like to get inside walls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 01:38 am:

I didn't find this until I pulled the coil box lid off. It has a neoprene gasket under the lid but there must be a wasp size gap in it. Interesting that they like coil #3... so do I!

I may be visiting Roger Barrett to get that coil reset once I've removed the mud.

Erik, my gyroplane is now certified airworthy by the FAA and can be flown. The problem is I don't have my "solo endorsement" on my student license yet. So it will fly when I'm ready.

BTW I have a "remove before flight" flag I put onto my Pitot tube to keep these little buggers out of it.

Here it is at the airshow in Grass Valley 4 days ago. That P51 pilot wasn't interested in a trade.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 10:45 am:

Terry, how do you get dual in a gyroplane?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 10:51 am:

Nice terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 11:58 am:

Please tell us & show us a little more about your gyroplane. Did you build it? Was it from a kit? How is it powered?

My uncle, a WW2 Navy pilot, built a Benson years ago. He flew it for some years and then sold it to help finance another plane.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 01:21 pm:

Warning, thread drift!

Gilbert, my CFI owns this:

The problem is not getting dual time it is having a gyro to do solo time in. Mine has limitations which seem to require a fully rated pilot. The CFI says he can endorse me for that. A dual craft needs a LODA to be used for instruction and the available insurance does not allow student solos.

It is starting to look like I may have to get a sport pilot FW license and endorse over to gyro to get around this.

Paul,
It's a kit built in WI by a fellow who wanted to fly back in 2000. Without training he took it out for a ground loop and quit. I am the third owner and have torn it down completely fixing lots of severe safety problems. I have made it legal with the FAA. It is now structurally sound.

It does have some model T parts. I made the pre-rotator gear from a Model T starter pinion... that was the only one I could find which mated with my Kubota tractor ring gear.

The tail wheel spring is old broken model T springs. Originally I made it from broken 1947 MGTC springs, but they broke again! Did you know you can drill holes in a model T spring... just use a carbide tipped cutter, lots of oil, and lots of time. I use carbide tipped masonry drills!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 07:58 pm:

I love the prewar colors. What are you powering this beast with?

I was a fixed wing pilot for many years. My only rotary wing time was .5 in an old Bell 47G. They make a Model T seem as smooth as a twelve cylinder Packard . . .

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

I'll bet that Magni is fun to fly! The Pitbull however is too cool for school. I wanted to go to Mentone this year but that won't happen with family stuff. Maybe next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 01:23 am:

Subaru EA71 direct drive. I want to fly as is and assess performance. Later I will probably add 40" to the hub bar for a 15% increase in rotor disc area and add a 2:1 or so reduction to boost rpm into the power band.

Is "too cool for school" good? Magni is running a turbo rotax with belt reduction and cable prerotator.

Obligatory T content: the Autogiro was invented in 1923 by Juan de la Cierva y Codorinu, wealthy Spanish nobleman... he did NOT drive a Model T Ford.
TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 05:41 am:

Yes. Too cool is always good!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration