Loose steering case top

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Loose steering case top
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 10:30 pm:

I just noticed my top gear case on the steering column it is loose to when I get the set screw to line up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 12:44 am:

I put a shim washer under the cap but on top of the center gear shaft all is tight but I may replace with a thinner shim washer as I feel a tad of drag or should I let it wear in or an I way off base

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 01:43 am:

I would have tried to find a thinner shim. You can put it together without the shim until you find the "right" one. Better a little loose than too tight..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 10:12 am:

Some folks drill and tap a new hole. Even some of the originalists do this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 10:30 am:

I do what Steve recommended. You need a strap wrench or a heavy piece of leather to put around the knurled top while tightening. Be sure to use the correct size drill when drilling the new hole, and put tape around the drill bit so you don't go too far. As I recall the screw is a 6-32. Then tap your new hole. Next, the new 6-32 screws have too big of a head, and you need to turn it down to the original size.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration