Wheel question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Wheel question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Miller on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 10:35 pm:

I have a 25 touring that came with clincher rims which are pretty rusted. I believe the 25's could have clincher rims or split rims like the 26-27 years. Is there any advantage to using split rims over the clincher rims?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 11:20 pm:

Wheel size. If you have clinchers then you have 30 inch wheels, split rims would be for 21 inch wheels and would not fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 01:08 am:

The biggest advantage to using the 21 inch split rims is that it is also a model A size tire (along with dozens of non-Ford cars). The quantity of tires manufactured and sold in that size makes them cheaper to make and buy. I think some of them are even still made in America. They tend to last longer as well as ride smoother.
A disadvantage to 21 inch model T wheels and tires is that although most of the wheel parts are relatively easy to get, and new replacement spokes are readily available and not too difficult to assemble? Really good model T 21 inch split rims are a bit difficult to find and get, and can get pricey.
For me? I just prefer the look of 30X3.5 clinchers.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Miller on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 09:21 am:

My T is in pretty rough shape, so the tires are gone. The felloes are salvageable, but the clincher rims are rusted to the point where they have sharp edges. Which I am told will destroy a tire pretty quickly. I have found a set of 21" split rims, that seem to be in pretty good shape. Is there any thing that I need to watch out for on this type of wheel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 10:41 am:

Even though 21" wheels were available in 1925, they just don't have that antique look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 10:46 am:

Do you have the 21" wheels to go with those split rims? If so, I think your only problem will be how they look. If not, it would probably be less costly to buy some better clincher rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Miller on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

The ones that I am looking at has the split rims rim and felloe (I think that is the correct term for the hub and wood spokes). They would just need tires. They are a few hundred more than what I think the clinchers would cost me. It sounds like the would work okay, just a preference on looks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 01:40 pm:

21" tires are better, safer, cheaper, last longer, ride smoother, and are easier to mount.

I just switched my '25 Touring over from 30x3.5 to 21" for those reasons... I also like the look of them on a late T, but agree they look out of place on an earlier car.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration