Car in high gear is running only 20 mph

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Car in high gear is running only 20 mph
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By martin on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 11:58 am:

hi to all,
my ford t fordor sedane from 1926 in high gear is running only 20 mph. the engine is running fine and the timing is ok.
in slow gear the car is running god!
any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 12:02 pm:

Hello Martin, welcome to the Model T list. 20 mph is too slow for a healthy car. Can you give us some info about the mechanical condition?

My first thoughts are that possibly the motor is not developing enough power or there might be something retarding progress like stuck brakes.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gelfer on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 12:05 pm:

Is your spark properly advanced after starting?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By martin on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

hi paul the the hole car was restored 1 year ago and also the engine. is it possible that the clutch setting is not ok?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By martin on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 12:10 pm:

hi john. yes it is

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 12:17 pm:

Does your car have some accessory (Ford or not) gear set in the rear axle? If the engine runs at high RPMs it might be a low speed type; if it runs at low RPMs without much power it might be a high speed type.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By martin on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

no accessorys and its not a low speed type!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 12:35 pm:

Could be a lot of things. Best to have someone come by that knows Model Ts. Its pretty tough to get a diagnosis without a lot more information. Sort of like when someone goes to the doctor and complains he isn't feeling well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 12:36 pm:

linkage to the carb not allowing full throttle? Choke not opening up all the way? Mouse built a nest in the exhaust? Like you said Martin clutch slipping or another transmission issue like a dragging band? Start with the easy checks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bailey Rettig on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 12:38 pm:

Sounds like the clutch may be slipping. Anyway a stock (even rebuilt) Fordor Sedan is so heavy, you will never go very fast. But 20 mph is too slow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

Perhaps a TT with 7:1 rear gears ?

Oh yeah, they won't even hit 20 ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By martin on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 12:42 pm:

the problem is that in italy there are not so many tīs around richard.
ok so first will check the clutch and than we will see

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By martin on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

whatīs the fastest way to set the clutch? and how i now if the clutch fingers are right or tightened too much?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 02:55 pm:

Timer in good shape? Throttle will open up completely? Good Coils? Running on mag? Carb adjusted correctly? Spark advance properly? Fresh petrol? Spark plugs clean? The list goes on and on. I would think the clutch adjustment and operation would be obvious? Is the clutch slipping and the engine revs up? Or just no power to pull the car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

Does the engine race at that 20 MPH speed? That is does it sound like it's going too fast for the speed your traveling or does it sound OK and just won't go any faster? Trying to determine if it's clutch or engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 03:10 pm:

Martin -- I recommend that you get a Ford Service book. All the T parts vendors sell them; it's part number T-1. The part number should tell you something about how important it is. It will answer your questions about adjusting the clutch and everything else on the car. Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 03:19 pm:

Martin,

Mike's message is a good one...worthy of your consideration.

However, the mail from here to your place can be very slow. If you are an impatient type (as I am), perhaps you will enjoy reading this link....

http://mtfca.com/books/21manual.htm

and pay close attention to everything, including answer # 73.

Good Luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By martin on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 04:22 pm:

Kenny yes i have checked this things! The car has enough power!
Charlie the engine sounds good and is working good
Mike i have this book but it does not explane what or how i now ift the fingers are to tightened after turning the 3 screws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 04:32 pm:

Martin, if you get the 3 fingers to tight, it will try to be in high gear at all times and you will not have neutral.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 04:42 pm:

I will assume that the engine is running on all 4 cylinders. That the spark is set correctly and the fuel mixture is correct.

Some questions: Did this just start, or has it been this way since you got the car? If it started to run this way recently, have you made any changes or adjustments to the car recently?

Here are a list of things other than engine problems which could cause the problem.

1 Going uphill. The fordor sedan is a heavy car and is sometimes slow going uphill. It should go at least 40 mph on level ground.

2. Parking brakes dragging.

3. Low band, brake band, or reverse band too tight and dragging while in high gear. The pedal should bottom out about 1 1/2 inch above the floorboard. If the pedals bottom out higher than 1 1/2 inch the bands are too tight. You should be able to push the car in high gear without the engine turning. With the parking lever in neutral position, you should be able to crank the engine without moving the car.

4. High gear clutch slipping. The symptom of this problem would be engine running fast but car moving slowly.

5. Tire pressure too low. on a 26 they should be 35 PSI.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By martin on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 05:15 pm:

Norman the car in the high gear was not runnig god (slipping clutch) so i changed only the bolt settings of the hand brake lever! Now the car in high gear runs much better but its slower than bevore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

Martin
Check out this post from last year. Good instructions for adjusting the clutch and hand brake

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/461201.html?1405692926

I like to run a length of heavy thread or dental floss thru the cotter pins to keep from losing them into the Tranny. For the gauge I use a length of 12 gauge wire with a 13/16 bend in the end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 07:55 pm:

Burger, I've actually had my stock '25 TT firetruck up to a whopping 23mph, but not very long 'cause it sure would vibrate! It does great at 20.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

Tim,

We have speed check readers set up around town to remind drivers
that this ain't Daytona Speed Week, and my TT is rattling pretty good
with the speed checker showing 19 ! I could probably push it a little,
but with all the talk of joining the Two Piece Crank Club, I think I'll refrain.
I have other vehicles for going fast that won't break. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By martin on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 07:55 am:

hi guys today i checked the clutch settings and the high gear clutch is not ok. (see picture with the clutch gap) and so i tried to set the clutch fingers but its not enough. than i had take a look to the clutch spring and i noticed that i cant se the spring pin! is it possible that the pin is broken?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 03:43 pm:

It is possible (not really likely, but possible) for the pin to break and/or fall out. That especially if it were not properly installed to begin with. It is more likely that the pin was left out by whomever worked on the car in the past.
It would be rather tricky to do. But it would be possible to install the pin by careful positioning of the spring cup and pin hole. The spring cup needs to be pushed forward to expose the pin hole. After the pin is in place, the spring cup needs to be pushed farther forward, then turned clockwise looking at it from the rear. Then it gets released back about a quarter inch. That un-lines up the holes in the shaft and spring cup to lock the pin in place.
The most difficult part of all this will be pushing the spring and spring cup forward and holding it straight. The "fourth-main-ball-cap" being rounded and larger than the spring cup makes it difficult to pry against and the spring has a natural tendency to push everything crooked. The other difficult part will be trying to locate the hole going through the driven-plate shaft looking through the small holes and spaces in the spring cup and spring.

I don't have a pin handy to measure, but if I recall correctly, I think it may be 5/16 inch steel rod (it could be 3/8 inch or even some odd mid-size). Hopefully someone else can measure one and give the proper size. It should be about 2 1/4 inches long.
Good luck!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 10:41 am:

The parts book says: PIN (For clutch spring support 3341), 5/16 x 2-3/8”) 3342

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By martin on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 12:18 pm:

ok. so at this point i will order a new spring and pin and try to mount it with the engine in the car!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration