Chris Egsgaard's Hill Climber for sale at LOng Beach Swap Meet

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Chris Egsgaard's Hill Climber for sale at LOng Beach Swap Meet
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

I will be selling the famous Speedster at the Long Beach Model T Club's 61'st Swap Meet at the Los Alamitos Race Track in Cerritos, CA. It is located behind the Costco store on Katella in Cerritos.

poohbah

rajo

Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 12:21 pm:

Price?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 12:29 pm:

That is a MEGA megaphone!

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

More pictures:

BBR

Past National President Dennis Gorder inspects the BBR Rajo engine rebuilding progress.

BBR

Kicked pistons for more compression.

BBR

All new parts, over $25,000 invested in the rebuild.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 12:51 pm:

There is also an S.R.Frontenac with cross flow twin spark and a single and a dual intake manifold with a complete T transmission.

S R

ignition

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 12:58 pm:

The car has Buffalo wheels and hubs with brand new tires. Or you can have 26/27 wire wheels with Goodyear tires for $3000 less.

xxx

xxx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 01:30 pm:

The car ran with a shortened frame and the engine moved back with a short drive shaft. No rear suspension with the rear axle bolted directly to the frame. No rear radius rods or spring. We have made it so it can be driven on the street.

xyz

Chris ran a 1916 engine block so we procured a 1916 rolling chassis with a 1916 engine through Kim Dobbins who said that he ran it. Another person purchased the complete car from Kim and we purchased the running rolling chassis from the buyer who only wanted the body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 01:33 pm:

I am not at all well and want this to go to a good home

Back in the day when I was Fast Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

I am saddened to hear you are doing well. Pray you will overcome this health issue like before. On a side note, you will always be Fast Frank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 02:59 pm:

Chris ran his cars on the hill and then after the day of speed he would dis-assemble the car and change it for the next year. He ran the "Wild Cherry" and a bunch of other stuff over the years. I got the car from him just six weeks before he died. He ran it with the megaphone when it was painted orange. The next year we went with Kong Jackson and Wes Cooper to Ed Winfield's garage and got a bunch of "Go Fast Stuff", painted the car blue and did a 7.8 second run up the hill for the quickest time ever on Shell Hill.

I have over $25,000 invested in the BBR Rajo but if you want to go second string you can have the S R Frontenac.

I have Buffalo wheels with brand new tires but you can save money by getting my 26/27 wire wheels with Goodyear Tires.

wild Cherry

I will discuss price at the swap meet.

faultless

faultless

1966rafters

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 04:16 pm:

Mr. Harris,

Thank you for posting the background & photos.

I hope your health improves.

For those interested in attending:

61st Long Beach Model T Club Swap Meet

Saturday July 25, 2015 at Los Alamitos Race Track

4961 Katella Ave. Cypress, CA.

East parking lot behind Costco.

7AM 'til it's over.

FREE ADMISSION FREE ADMISSION.

Vintage auto parts and hobby related items.

All makes and models welcome.

Swap spaces are available at the gate:
( $30.00 9'W x 18'D )

Call Jeff Hood 562-597-5936 evenings or visit www.lbmtc.com

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 06:06 pm:

Jim, Thanks for the Plug!

See you there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 06:54 pm:

Frank,
Do you still have the smaller wheels that were on the car? I am looking for something like that to put on our car we built with the Gemsa engine we bought from you. It is running and scary fast. I'd like to see you drive it as soon as you are able. We'll bring it down there and have lunch.
Fordially, Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

Gene,

I probably will be in Montana ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 01:35 pm:

Eric, Chris didn't ever want to have the car run again. He sold the engine to Bill Tanahill and the car to me. I got a rebuilt engine with a counterbalanced crank and traded it and $1000 , a Zenith carburetor and some other good stuff and got the engine.

bbr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 02:25 pm:

Yes Tom, you can reach me at fhmhlb@verizon.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 12:55 am:

Frank
You knew Chris much better than dad and I and we knew him as a colorful and interesting character. I miss him a lot. One time he called my house and asked for the boss. My wife answered and said, "Speaking!" They hit it off right away. Dad knew him in the 50's when riding a bike and being physically fit was for whackos. I think you have fulfilled his wishes that the car never run the same again. It can't. It will always be the last King of the Hill car, and that has historical significance, as there will never be another Signal Hill climb. I would like to see it on the road again as you have restored it, and race once more. I would be honored to race in the same event as this piece of model T history.
RIP Billy Poobah

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

Erik, Chris used to come to the Long Beach Model T Club meetings on his bike and leave at 10:00 P.M. and ride home to Simi Valley and get home at midnight.

chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 04:46 pm:

Yeah, that's the Chris I remember. Didn't he ride his bike from LA to Wisconsin or somewhere like that for his 50th high school reunion? Some guys are just larger than life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

He lived in the San Fernando Valley and yes he always rode that bike everywhere...the only time I saw him drive a car it was a little white toyota I think he borrowed from somebody). But all other times he came to my parents house he rode that bloody bike.

What happened to his plane? The Peed-n-Pole Scout he was working on. I visited the hanger at Van Nuys Airport where he was working on it, he was calling himself Billy Poobah the Polish Aviator back then as I recall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 07:56 pm:

Martin,
The Pietenpol airplane flown by Chris is in the model T museum in Indiana. I believe this was made possible by Fred Houston. Please correct me if this is in error. Speaking of which, my claim that Billy Poobah's car is the last King of the Hill car is not correct, as I have been informed by the one in possession of the crown.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 02:35 pm:

Erik: I will be bringing the full set of smaller wire wheels with hubs and wrench to the Long Beach Swap Meet Saturday. (along with other goodies from "Fast Frank's Garage") :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 02:38 pm:

Chris did own a pickup truck as well. Not sure the make but I kind of remember it being greenish in color. He used to sell parts out of the back of it at the Long Beach Model T Club swap meet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 02:52 pm:

I regret not meeting this guy ....

What a cool dude ... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 04:01 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 04:07 pm:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration