Removing drive shaft coupler on TT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Removing drive shaft coupler on TT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Texas Gulf Coast on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 06:51 pm:

I am having difficulty removing either of the two pins in the drive shaft coupler on a TT rear end.
I removed one once before and don't remember any particular difficulty. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

Bob, I don't think that you have a whole lot of choice but to drill them. I had two that were impossible so I started with a small bit and worked up being careful not to drill out the shaft hole or the worm gear hole. After that I had to cut the coupler off because it was so tight and find another one. That was a miserable few hours worth of work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Texas Gulf Coast on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 07:12 pm:

Got it off!!! Drilled from both sides and then drove out remainder of the pin. Coupler was pretty tight but it eventually gave up it's grip. Thanks Justin. I got lucky. Coupler still good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

Glad to hear it! I'm sure I don't need to tell you this but make sure that the pins that you put back in are nice and tight so that the coupler has no way to move around. I've run across some very worn splines on the worm due to loose or broken pins in the search for good parts.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration