Questions about a new but old ring and pinion gear set, possible maker ID .??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Questions about a new but old ring and pinion gear set, possible maker ID .??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

I am getting ready to rebuild a rear end for the 27 touring. I have a new ring and pinion gear set, I bought it from an estate. It is in its original shipping box and dated Feb, 1, 1972. The box is in poor shape, and I can only make out part of the manufactures (or vendors) name and address. What I can make out appears to be ????STANDARD COMPANIES. Ill post a pic of the label. Maybe someone will recognize the name of the company. I do know that there were lots of bad parts from that time period or era. I remember the sleeves being soft and wearing fast, the new replacement bearings started showing up with no grooves, ect. But I do not remember hearing about any bad gears back then. I want to use them as they are in perfect condition and appear to be nice machinings. and they are the most expensive part of the rebuild. I plan on buying two new axles, new sleeves, and finding the best four original bearings I have. I have some I saved back just for an occasion like this. They are in the .002 or less wear range. So any thoughts about the old 1972 vintage gears will be appreciated ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 10:02 pm:

If you see the word Argentina on it throw it away. There were a lot of parts made in Argentina back then and they were all junk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

Thanks Glen, I remember the bad Argentina stuff :-(. This appears to have been mailed from Quincy Ill. I probably will never know for sure , so Ill have to decide if I want to take my chances. The main reason I would even consider it, is I just do not remember hearing about any bad gear sets. There probably were some, but I just do not remember any ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

Donnie -- Post a pic of the ring & pinion showing the location of the ring gear bolt holes and the pinion keyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 07:59 am:

Standard Auto Parts of Quincy Illinois was operated by Ernie Hemmings

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 11:13 am:

Hang the ring gear with a string and give it a tap. Does it have a nice ring (No pun intended.) to it? Try the same w/the pinion gear. Not scientific but will give you a rough idea of the toughness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

Ken, I did the "ring test" today. The 1972 ring gear and an original Ford script gear have almost an identical "ring" The pinion gears do not ring. The 1972 pinion and a NOS Ford script pinion make the exact same sound. Like you said its not very scientific but at least they sound the same .:-) Mike Im not sure what you are looking for so Ill post several pics for you to view...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 10:15 pm:

I would use those parts. I do not see a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 11:24 pm:

Donnie, Those are not Argentine gears. I do nor recognise any of the markings but they look like very good gears. I would not be afraid to use them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 11:49 pm:

Would there be a potential problem with the key way being cut between the gears?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 12:10 am:

No John, that's the way they should be. If the keyway is cut between the teeth,it will be more prone to break. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 01:18 am:

Isn't the key way on the pinion cut between the teeth?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 02:46 am:

The keyway in the above pinion is cut right. Breakage starts at the edges, and when cut like this there's as much material as possible around the edges of the keyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 02:52 am:

My bad. I had a bit of a brain fart. I meant to say if it was cut below a tooth. If it was cut below a tooth, the corners of the cut, which are a stress point, would be between the teeth, in the thinnest part of the gear. Sometime in the past some repro gears were made that way and they would fail in short order. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 10:47 am:

I took a photo today of my 1972 pinion gear and a Ford script pinion gear. They are made the same. Thanks for all the comments, It makes me feel better about using them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 04:43 pm:

Donnie -- A few years back some ring & pinion sets were made with the ring gear holes and the pinion keyways in the wrong place. Yours are correct and look good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 05:41 pm:

Mike, thanks. I figured that you were talking about keyway placement after the other comments. Are you done playing in the Branson Model T tour yet ?. My cousin, who is manager of the Branson Belle (tour/show boat) sent me a bunch of pics of the Model Ts while they were at the Branson Belle. I did not see your car in her pics, and I still have not seen any pics of the Branson tour posted by any participants. Now that's pretty bad when I need a cousin to get pics for me ... :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 09:25 am:

I got home yesterday afternoon, but most of the tour participants had a lot farther to drive. Some won't be home for another day or two. Then I expect that we'll get some pics. Russ Furstnow also came by my shop, and we spent about 3 hours loading up all the bits & pieces for his "new" Coupelet. Russ took some pics at the tour but forgot to take his cable to download them. I didn't take a camera.

The Branson Belle showboat was a treat. My car was there in the parking lot, along with 100+ others. (Mine was at the back edge of the parking lot in the shade.) We had the closing dinner aboard the boat while cruising Table Rock Lake. The show was a hoot and everyone enjoyed it..

Bill and Kathy Bohlen were presented with the Stynoski Award at the dinner, for their 1909 two-lever car. I met Bill and Kathy out on the deck after the dinner and we had a nice visit. Bill said it was restored 25 years ago and has been kept in a climate-controlled building ever since. The car was BEAUTIFUL!! (The Stynoski Award had not been granted to any entrants the past two years, because the cars didn't score the minimum number of points in the judging.)

The tour was great fun, and the Ozarks roads were wonderful for Model T driving. Yes it was hot, but amazingly we didn't get rained on at any time during the whole week! And we didn't have any snow or hail either. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 10:32 am:

The Branson Belle show is a nice one. We go at least once a year. I have family that lives in the Branson area. We have been going there for years. It used to be if someone worked in the tri-county area and had something to prove it (check stub, business ID card ect) That person and a guest got in free. We have an aunt and uncle and 6 cousins who work in the area. So for years we never paid for anything. The only exceptions were the helicopter rides, the go carts, and White Water (water park and water slides) There are still some shows and attractions that honor the old system, but it is getting to be a smaller list each year. There is so much to do at Branson we try to go at least twice a year. We still get into Silver Dollar city free and go in the employee gate before the front gates open. We then eat breakfast at the restaraunts inside the city while everything is opening up. We are a spoiled and pampered lot :-) :-) Oh yea, the front row of seats is usually reserved for the locals, till 15 minutes before the show. If you do not have tickets, it is sometimes worth getting there and check about 15 minutes before the show. Sometimes the reserved seats do no fill up and you can get lucky. Not all shows do it that way but its worth a shot if you are already there. Glad you had a good time ...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration