Runs better on the mag

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Runs better on the mag
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 12:15 am:

just started getting my 26 tudor ready for the road after a Long restoration. Engine is rebuilt along with all the components replaced or rebuilt, timer, magneto, coils etc. The engine seems to run OK although it does seem to run slightly better when switched to the mag,...is this normal ??

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 12:19 am:

Perfectly normal. The T ignition is designed to run on the magneto, using battery for starting. Your coils are much happier on mag.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 07:23 am:

That is a sign that all is right with the world.:-) To expand on Erik's comments. Not only is that normal, it is the way it is supposed to be. Running on 6 volts essentially results in more retarded timing than when on magneto. At idle and slow speeds, it is not as apparent, but the faster you try to go on battery, the more apparent it becomes that it doesn't want to go fast. Swapping over to Mag (Assuming a good mag and properly adjusted coils) results in a boost of energy and a sense of "Wow, what a difference." On 12 volts, there is not much difference, but on 6, there is. A car that runs better on battery than on magneto is a classic sign of improperly adjusted coils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 07:46 am:

A little warning: Switching over too slow or at too high speed may give a muffler explosion..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 11:17 am:

Do not switch when the car is moving unless you put it into neutral and back off the gas. The best time to switch is after starting while the engine is at idle or fast idle before you start the car in motion. If you forget to switch either stop the car and switch or do as above put in neutral and back off the gas while you switch. Otherwise need a new muffler!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 02:45 pm:

I stuck a little red adhesive paper dot on the mag side of the switch to remind me to switch over. I tend to forget these things lately...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 02:58 pm:

Sorry guys, haven't ever had the problems you mention, and have over 50,000 miles on the same car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 04:57 pm:

It won't do it if you switch it quick enough. But let the key hang up in the OFF position for a second or two and you will get good "POW!" out of the muffler. I've had it happen a couple of times, but no muffler damage. However, I can see how it could.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration