Advice on timing gears

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Advice on timing gears
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorentz K. Lorentzen on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 08:49 am:

I recently bought parts. I discovered that they had supplied the advanced timing gear instead of the standard that I ordered. The engine is for a TT. My question is if this will make any difference? I plan to do a lot of hand cranking.
Thanks for any help!
best regards Lorentz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 09:28 am:

With a stock carb and intake I didn't notice any difference when hand craning mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 10:17 am:

Usually advancing the timing gear means drilling an extra pair of dowel pin holes for an advanced timing position, leaving the std holes as an alternative? But there are many who does this, maybe there are advanced gears with only one set of holes too.

Advancing the timing is great for better hill climbing ability at low to mid range while the top end suffers some. On a TT with very low gears in the rear axle and rarely any loads like back in the days, it's likely better to have the std timing?
But with an accessory OD trans like a Warford, advancing the timing might be a good thing? It will also depend on what camshaft you have and what roads you're planning to drive..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 10:59 am:

The "kick" when crank starting is caused by the spark timing being too advanced. You will need to adjust the rod between the steering column and the timer, or if you have a distributor, need to adjust the timing for retard when cranking, but the timing gear will not cause a problem crank starting. Just set the spark as you normally would and all will be well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorentz K. Lorentzen on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 04:43 am:

Hello and thanks for replies. I found a bronze gear that I believe has the standard setting. I will try to use that instead. I would like to keep everything stock on this truck. I even have the original Norwegian built wooden cab and bed for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

OK Lorentz, now you have several hundred people waiting to see a picture of your TT cab.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration