Pulls to Right Badly

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Pulls to Right Badly
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo - Linton, IN on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 03:57 pm:

Is this a toe-in issue?

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 04:11 pm:

Not usually toe in.

Try the car on a level surface such as a parking lot. Most roads have a high crown in the center and slope down to the right. You want to see how it pulls on level ground first.

Check to be sure both front and rear axles are centered in the frame. The center bolt through the spring leaves should be in the hole in the center of the frame crossmembers. The car should set close to level when parked on a level surface.

If all those things check out, the castor and camber could be out of alignment. If one side is significantly different than the other it could cause the car to pull to one side.

See the Owners manual for specifications for your particular car. The earlier cars are different from the last two years.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 04:14 pm:

Toe in could aggravate pulling to one side or the other, but more likely it is a bent _______________ (axle, wishbone, engine pan, frame)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 05:17 pm:

At the risk of sounding too basic, ensure that all inner tubes are inflated to proper psi, which varies from clinchers (55psi) to demountables and wire wheels (34-36psi). An underinflated tire will definitely pull to that side, especially if on the front. Some of the best antique car guys have overlooked this simple cause of pulling to one side or the other.
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 08:32 pm:

Marshall suggest a good place to start. I have been working on a 23 touring that was pulling to the right. the front passenger side tire looked a little low but when I got to the shop to add air it was about 20 lbs in that tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo - Linton, IN on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 10:07 am:

I hope it's simple! I will check the easy stuff first:-)

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 11:07 am:

Our '27 pulled to the right until I figured out that it had a wrong spindle on the right, giving it more camber that the left.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 02:08 am:

Never underestimate the effect that tyres have on this issue. You could also try swapping the front wheels left to right. Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 09:42 am:

Just get it on a flat surface and eye ball everything. You never know what'll turn up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo - Linton, IN on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 08:43 am:

I added air to tires to 55 psi all the way around...it really helps. Will go to the hs school parking lot today and check out more. Need to check toe-in as well.
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

Another cause of pulling is a car with the wrong spindle (having the opposite threads on it) will sometimes have the wheel bearing tighten up while driving - I've seen these get so bad so quickly as to break the spindle when the wheel stops spinning...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration