The Adjustment I Never Realized I Needed, But Am Happy I Made.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: The Adjustment I Never Realized I Needed, But Am Happy I Made.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 09:00 pm:

Since I've owned my T, shifting from low to high has always been hard and abrupt, followed by some very annoying shuddering. No-mater how i paused in neutral slightly before letting it all the way out, or reduced the throttle and or timing, i always got the same results. Well today i decided to have a look-see at the clutch to find out if any cure was available adjustment wise. The clutch finger screws were about even with the fingers, so i decided to back them out a full 1.5 turns to see what would happen, although i completely expected it to slip. Well much to my surprise not only did it not slip, but i can now release the clutch with no harsh results, and most of the shuddering is now gone. Not sure why the last owner, or his mechanic had it so tight, but it just goes to show that the T has plenty of adjustments to make both itself, and its owner very happy...:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

Hmmm...John, my '20 has always exhibited those same symptoms...think I'll look into that. Thanks for the idea!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 09:17 pm:

I had issues with my doodlebug engine running in low and pulling the engine down, same with braking, along with the harsh shifting low to high and most importantly, no real good free neutral. All these were associated with the clutch finger setting being way to tight. My adjustment screws were below the surface of the fingers.

I read of adjusting the clutch to 3/4" and reset my free neutral settings and virtually all my problems went away. Now that I have driven it some, I need to recheck it again as I feel it has come out of adjustment a little.

It pays to check everything over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

The correct distance is 13/16 but if that extra 1/16 works...:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 10:47 pm:

I believe the gauge the vendors sell to set the clutch correctly is 13/16".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 11:08 pm:

Ooops, my mistake, I knew it was something around that. I actually almost typed 11/16" but that didn't seem right. You are correct as I did it by the book, it was 13/16"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 01:09 am:

I typed that 11/16 once and it was very quickly corrected. You may have read it on one of my postings :-(
I think right after that I typed 13/16 several times in a row as my public penitence. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration