Please pick this to pieces!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Please pick this to pieces!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux Margaret River West Oz on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 03:12 am:

Can the experts please look at this and comment! It is on the other side of the Country so logistics are costly.
Worth bidding on?
http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/2015-shannons-sydney-winter-classic-auction/ ford-model-t-torpedo-roadster/#.Van6AXDCarV

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 03:19 am:

Russell, It's a pile of junk, if you have doubts, you can check it out in my shed after the auction!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 04:02 am:

The ruckstell has a neutral?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 05:00 am:

Thats what I was thinking Kep, I've never driven a Ruckstell but I thought they were only Hi/Lo. And how does a Ruckstell give you higher top speed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 06:04 am:

Livingston radiator, Ruckstell diff and boa constricter horn are nice items but not much on the car is actually 1911!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux Margaret River West Oz on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 06:49 am:

$15-$20k estimate seems a bit light for a 1911. Frank? Warwick?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 08:33 am:

Russell, just my opinion, if it was the real deal, it would be worth twice+ the estimate, if mechanicals are all good and for what it is, well worth the mid range in the valuation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 09:04 am:

If the serial number 95211 is original to the car it is actually a 1912 Model T. The missing top assembly would affect the price. Many things about the car are not correct, but they are still nice. For example the Rushmore carbide generator is incorrect, but it is worth many times the price of a correct Model T carbide generator, so it does not negatively affect the price or desirability of this car.

The star of David embossed on the inner door panels might offend Muslims so you would want to fix that immediately LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 11:24 am:

That's not a Star of David, that's a Dodge Brothers supplied door panel!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 01:25 pm:

Kevin, the Ruckstell is an under drive and will not make the car go faster. There is no neutral. Either in or out. Disengaged is normal Ford low and Ford high. Engaged is Ruxtell low (lower than Ford low) and Ruxtell high ( (lower than Ford high but higher than Ford low). You then have 4 forward speeds but Ford high is still the fastest. Mainly good for climbing hills but I use Ruckstell high for neighborhood cruising so I can go around corners without shifting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 05:51 pm:

What John has posted is true but a lot of Ruckstells had a 3:1 ratio, that would work well in a light T like this and give a higher top speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 06:12 pm:

Frank, I was unaware of different Ruckstell ratios. Was there some model designation for these units? Were these manufactured simultaneously with the under drives or were they converted units?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 06:22 pm:

John, I believe it was optional, I have 2 Ruckstells and both are 3:1, ratio list from a Ruckstell book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 07:01 pm:

Frank I agree. My friends 13 is a 3-1 we think because it has such tall legs plus makes increasing speed even on the flat a slow progress after changing from 1st.
John what your saying is exactly what I thought but I was making reference to the add which says when describing the Ruckstell - "resulting in improved acceleration and a higher top speed".
IF it has the lower diff ratio then this is what would influence the higher top speed.
Car looks nice and I would be pleased to own it and the way US dollar is climbing against the NZ dollar Aussie cars might get some NZ interest.
On a related subject I find annoying when dealers type pages of general history about the car type and/or all about their business. Its only the actual car I'm want to read about all the rest i can research myself later if I want.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

Thanks Frank. Apparently both under and over drives were available. I suppose the lower ratio was standard since your chart indicates the over drive was "special". Sorry to have drifted from the original topic!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karl Gilchrist- New Zealand on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 02:05 am:

Kevin - Neutral in a Ruckstell I've been told means a worn sloppy actuator mechanism and can be dangerous as you can get stuck in neutral which is not great for stopping- which can really wreck your day -Karl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 03:10 am:

A glimpse of the rear axle can be seen in one of the photos - and it doesn't look like a Ruckstell to me. Neither does it look like a 1911 style rear axle, but it's hard to tell. There were other accessory transmissions available for the driveline, maybe this car has some other type with an OD and neutral, making sense of some of the statements in the ad - but still not totally right. And those who write about T's just from owner statements without enough research almost always get some things wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 03:31 am:

Karl that doesn't sound ideal, I do like the idea of a KC Warford type under/direct/over drive, that would be so useful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 11:45 am:

The Ruckstell was never overdrive.
They were all underdrive but Ruckstell offered a 3.08 to 1 ring and pinion so when in direct the car was faster than standard. then when you used the under drive it was also a little faster than a standard ration T rearend with Ruckstell in low.
I have seen several with neutral.
That was a modification done by owners or from wear.
It was not recommended but makes the car easy to push around in the shop.
Getting stuck in neutral left the driver with no brakes, that's why it is recommended you have outside brakes on any car with a Ruckstell or other auxillary transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 12:15 pm:

Neutral in a Ruckstell, comes from a sprung, or bent shifting fork, and also a weak, or out of adjustment shift spring.

That keeps the fork from completing its full shift from right to left, and back again.

When straight, you can shift a Ruckstell with two fingers.

They get bent from a lot of force, when not knowing how to shift correctly.

Herm.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration