Dodged a Bullet (broken oil line)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Dodged a Bullet (broken oil line)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 06:12 am:

About two weeks ago I changed the oil in my í27 touring. There was plenty of oil in the drain pan and after I filled it with 4 quarts of oil I let the excess drain from the top petcock.

Last week I moved the car from my workshop to my car barn about 100 feet away.

Yesterday when I got into the car to start it I immediately noticed a lot of oil on the floor mat at the driverís side. So I opened both petcocks and no oil came out of either. Then I opened the hood and saw the after market oil line broken in half.

What puzzles me is that there was no sign of oil leakage on the floor of either building and I canít see any sign of it in the dirt between the two buildings. I guess that new oil was too clean to see it in the dirt.

I feel real lucky though. My young nephew and niece from PA were there waiting to take a ride and I had some other cars to take them in.

Robert

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 08:04 am:

Very fortunate. Good thing you had a spare car! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 08:22 am:

You may want to check the level in the rear axle. There is a plug in the transmission shaft that can be leaking or just gone which would allow the oil to drain down the shaft to the rear end pumpkin. Don't ask me how I learned that but I can tell you the rear end will hold about 4.5 gallons of oil before it starts pouring out at the wheels, ha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 08:37 am:

Thanks John

I'll check that next week when I get back here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

Was the oil line copper or steel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

Copper and it was probably from the 60's. I bought the car in 1986 from the daughter of a neighbor who had inherited it from her grandfather. (She was getting a divorce and needed the money). It got caught in the Carla hurricane floods back in the 60's and the engine was frozen, mag ruined and rear axle missing three teeth. I fixed all of this at the time but spent as little money on it as possible. The copper line is the same one that was on it when I bought it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 11:20 am:

Thanks. I was wondering as some time back there was a discussion on copper vs steel tubing for the oil line. My position was that steel should be used for an oil line for the same reason it is recommended for a gas line. That is copper's tendency for breakage due to work hardening from vibration. I feel it is even more important to have a steel oil line as a broken oil line can cause engine damage before it will be noticed whereas a broken gas line will cause the engine to stop without damage. Some disagreed.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration