Model T overhead cam engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Model T overhead cam engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Elliott on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 12:42 pm:

I and my son purchased a model t overhead cam model T engine that has not been started for about 20 year after it was put together. We have opened the engine up to see what the condition is after all of these years. The engine has a drilled crankshaft and pressure oiling system. The thing that we are wondering about is this. The rods are aluminum billet machined from one piece and after taking off a rod cap to see if it had babbitt or inserts, we find that the rods have either. They are running on the rod journal with just the oil supplied by the pump. The question is: has any body done this and what is your experience with this set up? The horsepower that this engine could develop is around 100 HP. If you want to call me with your thoughts, I would like to hear from you. Tom Elliott 503-644-9374
You can also E-mail me with your thoughts. Thanks for your help. Tom and Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 12:59 pm:

The Menasco D4-87 aircraft engine had aluminum rods runing on a steel crankshaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 01:23 pm:

Pictures are worth a thousand words (sometimes more).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 01:40 pm:

Mark, and pictures are worth a thousand dollars (sometimes more),

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 01:48 pm:

Aluminum rods often run without inserts. I would be more concerned with whether they fit OK and have oiling provisions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 01:55 pm:

So true Terry. Sometimes thousands of dollars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 04:30 pm:

The main bearings in my VW Lupo is the aluminium block - no inserts, so aluminium as an approved bearing material if the oiling is OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

Mine are aluminum with pressurized oiling and do great. Also running a Fronty Head. I'll post a pic in a second post (I hope)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

sorry I couldn't post the pic, file was to big. You'll just have to take my word for it, runs great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 10:57 pm:

Volvo 4 cylinder motors run the cam in the aluminium head with out bearings. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Elliott on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 02:06 pm:

Thanks guys for all the input. I had the feeling that this setup would be ok as it is. The oil pump looks to be able to supply a good volume of oil. I will have Scott post some pictures of the engine.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration