Cloth type spark wires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Cloth type spark wires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 02:28 pm:

Probably a dumb question, but are the brown type cloth covered spark plug wires not supposed to touch the cylinder head or each other when installed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 02:39 pm:

It's better if they don't but they are cloth covered rubber insulated wires and should not matter. If you are asking about the possibility of shorting out. ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 03:33 pm:

Don't let them rest on any head bolts or on the head itself. Also, it's a good idea to not have them touch each other.

If you have a set of original wires or look at low mileage originals like the Rip Van Winkle touring, the wires are just long enough to reach the spark plugs and the brass leads coming off the coil box are bent up to nearly 90 degrees which helps lift the wires.

I believe you can get the correct length wires from RV Anderson so you don't have to worry about excess sagging.

See this thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/529514.html?1427766209

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 05:00 pm:

Used to be called cross firing when 2 wires touched each other and the insulation is worn. The spark would jump to where it's not wanted. That is into another plug. Used to see a lot of older cars with the ign. wires run through a metal housing or chase to neaten up the wiring. Just set up the perfect conditions for cross firing. Obviously keeping them off the block is a good idea too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 09:29 am:

I understand Gail Rodda is making the correct spark plug wires now, color and everything! I've been making my own for years out of NOS late model Ford wiring (30's) that looks real nice, but has tracer in it. I have gotten the lengths for the wires out of teens Ford parts books. What is interesting is how often Ford changed the lengths!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 09:58 am:

I don't let any of my wires either touch the engine (melting/burning issue) and not each other to prevent cross-firing. Always a possibility.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 11:34 am:

This arrangement seems to work OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 12:01 pm:

Our 16 runs good with these wires original?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 07:21 pm:

Larry as far as I know Gail has stopped making the wires..also Bill there are 2 types of the brown (saddle color with the copper terminals) wire sets the torpedo set which is longer and the standard set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

I wonder which set I got? They were too long according to the dimensions I found on the forum, so I trimmed them to the correct length and now they look like the ones posted by Steve and Paul - no sagging at all. I think it was Larry Smith who gave the correct lengths for the 1914 model year.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration