AC Brake Linkage

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: AC Brake Linkage
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bailey Rettig on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 05:08 pm:

As I understand it, there are two types of linkage for AC Brakes.
1. Independent rods which must be individually adjusted. This type is manufactured by a fellow near Sacramento, CA and appear to be well designed and sturdy.
2. Homemade designed/built consisting of an equalizer similar to Rocky Mountain Brake.
Any opinions pro or con?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 05:47 pm:

No there are two types; cable activated as original using a single pulley for equalization and the rod types that can be hooked up to a bar type center pull equalizer mounted on the torque tube.

Google
mtfca; AC brakes

I personal DO NOT RECOMMEND the current equalizer as sold in the catalogs.

I have made a couple and installed one similar to what Jack showed in his posting;

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/402037.html?1384711491

I simplified mine by using just a flat plate to mount the brake rod clevises to instead of the round rod, welded plate and levers. It saves a number of steps and less material is needed. It's working very well on the car it being tested on.

PS OT, After driving a car with Rockey MTN brakes that barely stops and holds a car in reverse (too be fair they do stop great going forward) on a slope that's about 2 1/2 foot in 10 drop I do not recommend them ether. My worn out AC's stop my car Johnny quick on the same slope in reverse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Harris on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

I used the brake equalizer Snyder's sells I'm very happy with the results, but it takes a lot of trial & error to set them up properly but the time is worth the effort they work great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 02:38 pm:

I rigged up a cable and flat pulley, buying all the parts, or most of them, at TSC. Biggest challenge I had was getting the connection to the brake pedal right. I welded a tab on and put a clevis to that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 03:39 pm:

How my boat-tail is set up.

I like two fully independent braking systems.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger Sacrament Ca on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 09:32 am:

The set up made by and sold by Richard Baughman in Loomis Cal are great and are expertly built. Very easy to install and do not require any holes to be drilled. Very easy to install.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 01:15 pm:

Re; "The set up made by and sold by Richard Baughman in Loomis Cal"
Which setup is that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 06:17 am:

I have been meaning to say something about the AC brake linkage made by Richard Baughman for a few weeks but have been a bit busy. I got the pedal and brakes from Larry Skidmore for my small drum 1919 hack.

I have two things to say:
1. The linkage is well designed and rugged. It was easy to install in spite of the hack being different from most T's.

2. Richard is a gentleman and pleasure to deal with. He spent a lot of time answering and asking questions before I bought the linkage to make sure I got the right one and when we had a slight problem with the quality of one weld he responded immediately and sent another shaft. He even sent me the money it cost for me to ship the offending part back to him.

Good quality-- fair price and fantastic customer service-- I can't ask for much more.

Richard - thank you :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Bolser - Danville, IL on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 10:24 am:

Ditto on Fred's comments about Richard Baughman and his installation kit.
He shipped me the kit before I even paid him.
Great guy and a well built product.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 11:15 am:

Does he have a web site? The above testimonials are great but what is the kit? Does Larry sell it or do you buy from him? Any photos? If his ad is in the Vintage Ford, not everyone here get's it. Price? I don't need it for my AC's but would like to be able to send business his way if someone else does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

Does anybody have contact information for Richard?

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bailey Rettig on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

Richard Baughman's email is richandbertie@gmail.com. I lost his phone #.

Larry Sidmore only sells the drums and modified pedal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 10:58 pm:

Here is an older post with some info on contacts and the linkage.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/480827.html?1412384542

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 10:02 am:

I know very little about AC brakes, but the linkage posted above doesn't look like anything I've ever seen. I've had some AC parts over the years, and as I recall they are cable operated just like Rocky Mountain brakes are supposed to be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 10:26 am:

I built these AC brakes into my 1917 Roadster and they worked very well- the system made by Rich Baughman is great and he is a truly honorable fellow.

Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 11:24 am:

I just talked with a friend who has a set of ORIGINAL A.C. brakes, and they are indeed cable operated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 01:03 pm:

Larry,

That is what is offered as AC linkage. Nobody ever claimed they were exact reproductions, just that they work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bailey Rettig on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 01:48 pm:

I am familiar with the great linkage that Rich Baughman makes. I wanted to take a set of AC Brakes to one of the guys in Argentina (they are desperate for EVERYTHING down there) so Rich was kind enough to cut the rods in half and re-thread both ends and furnish a 1 1/2' long nut so the whole assembly would fit in my luggage. Don't ask about the Argentina Customs declaration.

I am interested in an opinion about the pulley equalizer system versus the individual (Rich's) rod system.

Does anyone have a picture of the cable & pulley assembly mentioned above?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 02:55 pm:

Here is original adv. on AC Brakes with cable pulley action provided back in the day.

This version of AC for the big drum Improved Car, '26-'27

Disadvantage with cable hook up is the cable can go slack, and a tension spring is very helpful, otherwise the cable will be limp like a clothes line.

The modern linkage set made with the pillow block cross shaft and solid rod linkage won't get out of tune as easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 03:05 pm:

Solid brake rods are better than cables.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 05:05 pm:

I prefer solid rods and non-equalizing braking systems on model Ts. It only took one friend with a fully equalizing system to break a clevis resulting in "no-wheel" brakes (fortunately, nothing collided with). I have always found it easy to adjust brakes so that both wheels work well together, and readjustment never seems to be required often.
If a piece breaks? Better to wind up with braking on one wheel than no wheel.
Just my 3 1/2 cents worth.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

OK It is time for me to come clean --
I have nightmares about brakes not working. :-(

I believe that it is because I stuffed a 1941 Ford coupe in the woods when the brakes failed.
I was a teen and going at an "excessive speed" on a dirt road near our summer cottage in Plymouth Ma.
I was not hurt and the car was only slightly damaged but it took me about 4 hours to get the small trees out of the way so I could get the car back to the road.
All the time I was concerned that my parents would come by and see me.

MY T has always had a good transmission brake but a few months ago it needed significantly more pedal pressure to slow the vehicle - even after repeated adjustments.
So when I switched the motor I used Kevlar bands and added Larry's AC brakes.
I considered many linkage options but decided that Rich's system with solid rods made the most sense.
The solid rods are very much like the mechanical brakes on my Model A and the bell crank is strong enough to move a house.
I especially like the fact that you do not have to drill holes in the frame.

As I mentioned earlier - an added feature is Rich's willingness to make sure you get what you need and his customer service.

You might find cheaper alternatives but it will be hard for you to get better quality.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 12:26 am:

Take a look at the 1926-7 parts that Dan posted. Does it make you wonder where the patterns for the new style Rocky Mountains came from??????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 12:28 am:

I believe Dan McEachern either makes the correct pedal clamp for the AC's, or did at one time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 08:58 am:

I would have to go look but I am pretty sure the set of repo 26-27 RM's I have sitting in the shop say AC on the main casting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 06:50 pm:

Has anybody used the AC linkage with rockys so that the handbrake can remain independent?

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

bump

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration