Motometer Help Needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Motometer Help Needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 11:48 pm:

The old radiator just wasn't holding the dogbone and cap right, so being the
"smart guy" that I am, I loosened the nut on the motometer and spun it 180 so
it would ride correctly and snugged the nut back up. As I did this, I felt the tension
go soft and realized the base of the motometer just sort of crumbled. :-P

Now what ?

A quick scan on the worldwide interweb thing produced a bunch of intel, including
some like my now broken el cheapo Midget model for sale a la eBay. The question
I have is, are body parts sold for these, or do old car guys collect and sell/swap parts
for them ? Or what options do I have to find one that is NOT all sparkly and new/
restored ? ... I do not want a sparkly and restored T and a sparkly Motometer would
look really out of place on my vehicle.

Being a Saturday night, and my friends down at The Ranch not being open until
Monday, I thought I'd toss it out here for ideas.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 01:44 am:

Not sure this will work, but you might do some measuring to figure it out...

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/replacement-thermometer

It's for a Moto-Quail on a Model A, might be long enough, might not be also. Otherwise I'd say it's either time to look into E-Bay or visit a swapmeet and look for a used one there.

You could just buy a new one and distress it a might you know...a little lemon juice, a little lye (take the thermometer out first though) whatever floats your boat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 02:16 am:

Burger, next time just get the thick rubber radiator cap gasket that the vendors sell. It's soft enough to let the moto meter turn to what ever position is needed. Just a heads up. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 04:37 am:

Is the thermometer still okay? Usually, that is the part that fails. and can be difficult to get a replacement for. If the brass threaded part pulled out of the die-cast body (I think they are cast with the brass threaded part in place?), and did not break the thermometer? You may be able to epoxy glue the thing back together. I did that on one and it worked fine. If the die-cast part broke too badly to glue back together? Good bodies with broken thermometers are fairly easy to get (I might even have one). We would need to confirm the size of your motometer as there are several variations.
If the thermometer broke also, you could try Restoration Supply in San Diego for repair parts. Sometimes the thermometers are available, sometimes they are not. (I haven't checked lately)
Motometers are funny things. The price on a common junior could be anywhere from $10 (sometimes free) to several hundred dollars. The funny thing is, that the marque/name plate on the front of it makes a HUGE difference to the real value. People will see extremely desirable ones sell for huge money and then turn around and pay way too much for the common ones. That makes a lot of sellers keep fishing for the fool to pay too much. Good common juniors can still be had fairly commonly for under $30 if you are willing to wait for one. Usually, the best place to buy one is a good "early stuff" swap meet. It has been a while since I bought any from eBad. But I have bought several there over the years. I haven't been watching eBad much lately because money has just been too tight for me the past two years.

If you can, a good picture or two (with measurements) would help with identification.
For general information to all! Some sort of size reference is very important with motometers! One of the more common senior size meters and the junior meter look nearly identical in photos without a good size reference. There is another common senior size motometer that looks nearly identical to a fairly rare junior style again without a decent size reference.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 12:22 am:

I'll get a photo tomorrow.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration