Shipping: Glad I shopped around.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Shipping: Glad I shopped around.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 12:11 am:

If they were steel-felloe wheels I'd use the Regan press and make them myself. But for some wood-felloe wheels I decided to go with a pro. So I crated up the rims, hubs, plates, and hardware to ship them off to the wheelwright. The whole thing was just under a hundred pounds. I went online and contacted several shipping companies. One offered to deliver the box for $240. Another wanted over $300! I finally settled on Fedex. A truck came to my house to pick up the crate on a Thursday, and it was delivered in Baltic, Ohio, the following Monday. I just received the bill today. It was $63.54. And they didn't charge extra for using a wooden crate, like UPS. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 01:31 am:

I have always found that FedEx is cheaper than UPS and if something is being shipped to you, they will hold it at the nearest FedEx Office location at no charge like UPS does. Sometimes, FedEx is even cheaper than the postal service. I haven't tried Fastenal for heavy items, but I hear they're reasonable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 08:48 am:

One time I was selling a Tudor. The buyer said he would have FedEx ship it to him? Didnít know FedEx shipped cars? Has anyone ever done so? What were costs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 09:20 am:

Shipping costs are the killer for buying and selling items whether its a car or heavy or small parts.
It does pay to take some time to shop around, look, listen and verify!

Ebay is a good source to learn about shipping costs.

It boils down to how bad you want the item and what it takes to research what the costs are as Steve did.

A friend of mine made a verbal over the phone deal to buy a 61 Volkswagen around a 1000 miles from his home here in Texas. He saw the car for sale and called the seller and told him he would buy it for $12,000 shipped to Texas.
The deal was made (or so he thought) until the seller called him back that afternoon after another buyer made the offer of 12,500 and he would pay the shipping cost which was close to $1100.00!

The seller didn't take in consideration the shipping cost. He learned a lesson.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration