Alternator not working

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Alternator not working
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 11:18 am:

Popeye came with several boxes of brand new parts. In one of the boxes was a brand new looking alternator. The generator was dead, so I installed the alternator. It doesn't seem to do anything. I measure battery voltage at any engine speed.

Is there any trick to these things that I am unaware of? It has only one terminal, and a little metal box thingy that plugs in to the back of the alternator.

There was no paper work, no name on the box, so no idea what brand this might be. I looked on Lang's web site, this alternator does not look like theirs.

Any ideas what to do to make this work are appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 12:36 pm:

Royce:

Give me a call.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 12:54 pm:

The little box is the voltage regulator, you can get them in 6v or 12v. I have one with a 6v regulator. I safety wired it to the case afraid it was going to fall off.

No trick to hookup, if nothing happens I would presume it is broken.

PS if John has some more insights could you please post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 02:20 pm:

Next thing you know, Royce will be asking how to troubleshoot a water pump installation or the best way to set up an E-Timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 02:28 pm:

Definitely NOT a quality Becker alternator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 03:16 pm:

Same as a water pump...something you don't need. Original generator was just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 03:19 pm:

John - Sometimes, you come into possession of a Model T that, through no fault of your own, just plain "has what it has" because some former owner built it that way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 03:20 pm:

That is performance t parts alternator, that little regulator box is fried, a common problem with them, just use a 60s chrysler style regulator and you will be fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 03:30 pm:

I like the Wico magneto....no coils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 03:33 pm:

Number Two spark plug wire needs attention

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 05:51 pm:

The "silver box" looks like a filter or bypass capacitor to me.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 06:25 pm:

Looks like it is a Snyders alternator. This thing is the voltage regulator:

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/alternator-regulator

I removed it and the alternator terminals are corroded because they are tin plated steel. I am going to install a generator and a Fun Projects voltage regulator. This alternator (although brand new) appears to be cheap junk. No reason to pursue it any further.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 06:27 pm:

I stand corrected ... dang it :-(

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

The best idea is to replace it with a quality rebuilt generator by Ron Patterson.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Stitt-Southern Oregon on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 10:53 am:

It's a good alternator, as it looks like a Mistibushi.
I agree most likely then VR. The alternator is very serviceable if the VR is good. As stated you could use an early Dodge VR or use a Transpo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

So is it for sale? Sounds like something someone broke like me can fix up and use being I have nothing but a battery right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 06:52 am:

Dave at Chaffins talked me into trying a new regulator. So we will see how that works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 07:21 am:

Guess I'm the only one left, now.:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dena & Dennis Gorder on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

Remove the alternator and make certain the gear is solid on the shaft. Mine stopped charging and I found out it did not have a roll pin in it. I assume it was pressed o the shaft and tight for awhile but then came loose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 06:40 pm:

It is turning. I installed a new regulator, didn't help.

I am going to talk to the manufacturer next week, it seems that when on six volts the alternator needs a resistor added somewhere. In the mean time I have a generator and cutout.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration