Band question on 16

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Band question on 16
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 01:25 pm:

I have been driving car maybe 10 miles so far after 70 year rest and I notice reverse is chattering a little. I didint notice it before but maybe it's just me I have changed oil twice nothing in oil. The pic is before I got car running do you guys think the old cotton is rotting? It still runs great but I don't want to hurt anything should I take off cover before driving any more?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 04:42 pm:

It's very likely the bands are rotten.. Did your father change them? If not, then maybe one or all are Ford original bands from 1916.. :-O

But there seems to be more adjustment left.. you don't really have to change them until they fail and can't be adjusted any more.

Test how good the hand brake works, good to have as an emergency if the brake band suddenly fails going down a long hill..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 05:05 pm:

You can add a little atf as well, that's common with wood bands that chatter. It won't hurt anything. Maybe 1/2 quart If you do change bands and use anything other than wood there is a real benefit with the quick change style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 10:30 pm:

Roger I know my father never did any work on engine only rear tires if bands were changed it was a long time ago. low works good rev. dosent slip it chatters when going up hill its ok once it gets engaged. I didnt notice it before, this is the only T I ever drove! I try not to slip bands.I have been doing a lot of starting and stoping and backing up! Gary I will try a little atf car has cotton bands. I think I will take off cover and see if it looks the same I dont want to do any damage if anything is coming apart

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 08:17 pm:

I took off cover everything looks ok. I think bands are fine I changed oil it sure gets dirty fast must be the detergent in the new oil 3rd oil change the 75 year old I took out was clean. I did add half a quart of atf thanks Gary. I did take out mag plug after seeing Steve Jelfs post about mag voltage it's clean

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration