Carbon on Spark plugs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Carbon on Spark plugs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 01:50 pm:

What does black, sooty carbon on all four spark plugs indicate? I pulled all four plugs and all are pretty sooty. Too rich, too lean, too advanced/retarded spark?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

I'll say too rich.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 02:51 pm:

Too rich. Try tuning in (clockwise) on the cab adjuster unit the engine starts to sputter, then out just a touch. Also make sure that the float in the carb is set to the proper level.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 03:46 pm:

I agree with Mark and Rod. Once you've made the adjustment watch for overheating in case you may have leaned it out a little too much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 06:39 pm:

Too rich or too cold a plug!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 06:50 pm:

Definitely too rich. Experience talkin' here. Did this on my '27 Tudor to the point where the car wouldn't start! I got smarter though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 07:20 pm:

How about worn rings and burning a little oil? But I would try adjusting the carb first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration