Saw a car today I never heard of or knew existed.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Saw a car today I never heard of or knew existed.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 11:44 pm:

A 1910 'EMF', which the owner says was a Detroit build. 3-speed rear transmission having a cone clutch. Interesting vehicle!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 12:01 am:

EMF - Everett-Metzger-Flanders. This car eventually got absorbed by Studebaker. There's a 1912 EMF here in Bellingham where the owners have driven it across the country from their home in Virginia. They just got back into Bellingham today off the Alaska ferry where they had taken it to Juneau. I think they've put on alittle over 4,000 miles on it so far and their trip continues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 12:09 am:

Very common car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 12:24 am:

I see more of them than T's. Why, they're on every street corner !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 12:25 am:

Found some information on Wikipedia...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-M-F_Company

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 01:20 am:

The first Studebaker foray into automobiles was a poorly designed electric along about 1901. For a dozen years thereafter, the Studebaker brothers toyed with automobiles mostly hiding behind other names. Garford was one of those names, sometimes they included the Studebaker name in advertising, sometimes not. EMF was the other big name they backed to develop automobiles before switching it to their own name. If I recall correctly, in 1912, the same model cars were built and badged as either Studebaker or EMF.
As a connection to Ford model T? During the switch from EMF to the Studebaker name, they leased the former Ford Piquette plant for a few years. It is likely that the 1915 Studebaker I used to have may have been partially built in the same buildings that the model T was designed in.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 01:38 am:

There where a couple in the HCCA chapter I grew up with...

Also known as Every Morning Fix-em.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 01:59 am:

EMF=Every Mechanical Failure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 08:09 am:

If I recall correctly, the famous automobile author and historian, Floyd Clymer, and also the youngest Ford dealer when he first began selling Fords, sold several brands of early automobiles in Colorado as a young boy in his very early teens. One of the brands of automobiles he sold prior to Fords was the EMF,......FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 08:26 am:

Is that the same Metzger that made the brass windshields?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 09:44 am:

Herb
The answer to your question is yes.
There is an excellent book about the history of Barney Everitt, William Metzger and Walter Flanders, their work as automotive pioneers and the EMF car entitled "The EMF Company. The book is available from SAE Warrendale, PA and numbered ISBN 0-7680-0716-X.
Great early automotive history reading.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 10:04 am:

Obviously not as plentiful as the Model T, but apparently they were well-made cars. I've seen, in person, a grand total of two Chevrolet 490's in my life. I've seen more EMF's than that. Their higher survival rate speaks well of their construction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 10:07 am:

http://emfauto.org/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 10:18 am:

Check out Plant Pictures in link above. There were EMF plants in Port Huron, MI and in Detroit on Piquette Ave. between John R and Brush St.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 10:22 am:

Make that "Factory Photos".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 10:32 am:

EMF enjoys that great web site and the dedicated folks who have put it together. Few makes are that well represented on the internet. Even with all the Model T's that remain we are lucky to have This Forum and the people who support it.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 10:41 am:

About three years ago on this forum there was a lot of discussion about the EMF that was stolen along with the pickup and trailer it was in.
It was taken from Antioch CA. It was found but a lot of the brass was gone. I didn't ask the owner on this 4th of July but I think he has bought almost all of the brass parts that were missing.
I remember of seeing 3 or 4.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 10:48 am:

Beautiful car--thanks for posting!! Common is a relative term I suppose. I'm 69 and have gone to many car shows and automotive museums but though I had read about them and seen pictures I have yet to see one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 10:58 am:

Conversing with the owner (who also owns T's), the comment was his preference to drive the T's. The 'cone clutch' and rear transmission, with the subsequent linkages in-between made it more difficult to drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 11:51 am:

One of our club members in Escondido has one or had one. I have seen it several times.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 12:58 pm:

Ford connection: Walter Flanders was General Manager for Ford at the Piquette Plant before going to the Wayne Automobile Company across Brush Street.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 06:34 am:

Come-on guys -- every electrical guy and many others know that EMF means Electromagnetic field.

It is the reason a Model T magneto works and if you carry your cell phone in your pocket you will become sterile.

Therefore it is apparent that the reason the EMF automobile did not multiply like the model T is because it did not have protection. --- :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux Margaret River West Oz on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 07:20 am:

EMF- Every Mechanical Failure?
FIAT- Fix It Again Tony
FORD- Fix Or Replace Daily or Found On Rubbish Dump

Have to love Brand rivalry and loyalty!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stanley L Brown Drury, MA on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 07:25 am:

When the Mohawk Trail opened in 1914 my Grandfather purchased as his first auto a 1910 EMF. Never heard how he liked it that was 20 years before my birth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 08:13 am:

We had an EMF, and related motor cars, gathering back in 2010 in our area. These photos were taken in Newton, KS. The blue car is a 1910? Flanders and the white one is a 1910 Everitt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 08:30 am:

Fred, every time I see a reference to the EMF automobile I think of Electro Motive Force because the first time I came across it I assumed it was an electric car!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 10:41 am:

A very nice Horseless Carriage Club video on the subject of the EMF:

http://www.hcca.org/EDU/presents.php?1909_EMF

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 02:30 pm:

EMF= Every Mechanics Friend

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 10:37 pm:

And to bring it forward.... After the Maxwell Briscoe Co. overextended itself buying up Flanders, Brush and a few other car companies and went into receivership, an investor named Walter Chrysler bought the remains. He hired Flanders to run the new company. They slapped the good name of Maxwell on the Flanders cars and made a go of it for about a dozen years as the company evolved into the Chrysler Corporation. It's all a really big circle.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration