OT - Interstate 10 closes indefinitely between AZ & CA

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Interstate 10 closes indefinitely between AZ & CA
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 04:44 am:

The volatile weather takes its' toll even in the desert ....

@ http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/california-freeway-bridge-collapses- blocking-ariz-traffic/ar-AAdcnVB?ocid=mailsignout

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 08:32 am:

Wow...scary stuff. I've been on that highway out to CA before. Lots of traffic, I bet they have it repaired and opened in less than a month. They know how to get things done out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 11:10 am:

Damn!!!
I just went over it Thursday!
From Phoenix we went to Sadona on the way home and came back into California yesterday just south of Los Vegas.
My wife wanted to go back to Phoenix and take I-10.
Bu the way, when we went into Arizona on Thursday it was 112 F in Blyth.
So damned hot, I saw a dog chasing a cat, they were both just walking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 11:19 am:

I would have missed it.
By 4:30 I was already in central CA.
http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/2015/07/19/desert-center-bridge-collapse/303 95123/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 11:48 am:

Things are changing around here. we had sunny and warm in January when we usually have the most rain. May 30 had a heavy downpour which is during our "dry" season, then yesterday this severe storm came on us. This set the record for the most rain in July since records have been taken. Last week a brush fire closed I 15 for many hours while over 20 cars burnt. They were trapped in traffic with no where to go. Then this washout trapped many cars in both directions. Both the fire and the storm were on weekends on popular tourist and trucking routes.

The drought is over here in the south, while the rest of California is still suffering from lack of water!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 11:56 am:

Well Norm, I just had to make an adjustment in my perception of your location. Your profile says "Alpine, CA". I have, until now, assumed that meant Alpine County somewhere near Markleeville.

It's probably not the only thing I'm wrong about....:-)

Sorry for the thread drift.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 01:14 pm:

30 some years ago I was commuting between Phoenix & Flagstaff, AZ along I-17 on a weekly basis.

One day the " new " southbound bridge near Black Canyon City washed out during one of our " 100 year floods " ...

I believe a few people were killed - I was about an hour behind the collapse ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 01:32 pm:

Alpine is in the mountains between San Diego and El Centro. About 15 miles north of the Mexican border.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 02:17 pm:

This is no surprise. Sudden storms can turn normally dry desert washes into raging torrents in no time, sometimes many miles from the actual storm. The allegation in the story that drivers will have to go "hundreds of miles" out of their way to take alternate routes is melodramatic bunkum. Going by way of Twentynine Palms and Parker is certainly farther, but not by hundreds of miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 04:17 pm:

This section of bridge had recently " passed inspection " in March of 2015 ....

@ http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CALIFORNIA_BRIDGE_COLLAPSE?SITE=MTBIL& SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 08:15 pm:

I now know another reason my son came back to New England from LA LA land!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

We're a long way from our drought being over.... one good storm doesn't mean squat. We did get 1", but when you figure we've been below average by about 50% in south cal for a few tears it really just means we got our lawns and plants watered and streets washed, that's it. IF we get a heavy El Nino and IF it hammers us like it did in the mid 90's it's possible to fill the reservoirs in a year, at the cost of mud slides, flooding, etc. But 'The Drought Is Over; in South Cal? not even close.

Steve; you're right; there are other options that aren't as great a distance, the problem is they won't handle the full flow from I-10 without their own traffic problems. Personally if I have to make that drive I'll go through about 3 a.m.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 08:57 pm:

From personal experience ...

Unless CA & AZ DOT formally officially announce a closer alternate route - if any one is traveling the I-10 between Los Angeles, CA and Phoenix, AZ or vice-versa ...

Normally you would go this way @ http://mapq.st/1OiMEWJ

It is better to take either of these routes ...

@ http://mapq.st/1GxjZHI

@ http://mapq.st/1IfooVk

Since everyone (including heavy trucks) will be looking for a short cut when they hit the detour signs along I-10 ....

You are looking at long delays if there are any shortcuts open ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

Maybe now, they will reopen the diner at Vidal Junction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 12:05 am:

The bridge heading in the opposite direction is still standing. Hopefully, they can shore it up and temporally reduce traffic lanes to two lanes in each direction. It will take months before a new bridge is built....possibly longer if the Environmentalist find a rare flower or insect....it's CALFUNNY.
Freighter Jim, the friend that was moving to Texas that I talked to you about had crossed the "Now" washed out bridge towing a trailer just hours before it fell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 12:14 am:

Les,

He was very lucky ...

Can you imagine seeing it collapse or even worse being on it when it collapsed ?

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 12:44 am:

The "He" was a She. Did you see the pictures of the p/u truck that partially went over? The driver was hurt but luck to be alive. The picture showed ropes or slings tied to the p/u and emergency vehicles that were at a distance back keeping it from going over while the driver was being removed. The emergency personnel risked their lives getting him out....the remaining part of the bridge could have also fell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 02:49 am:

Dang Aaron. Didn't even stop by L.A. to say howdy !?!?!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 11:07 am:

I thought about it George, but we went at a bad time. My brother died Monday after a nasty operation and the funeral was Friday.
We were dead dog tired and exhausted and needed to be home by Sunday night.
As we approached Barstow Saturday night there were so many bugs in the air we had to stop twice to clear the windshield. It rained some too.
We did that section at night. Since it was the old route 66 I wish we could have done it in the daytime. There were a lot of signs by the road pointing out Rt. 66 things.
I am sure there have been a few thousand model T Fords on that road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

Aaron,

So sorry to hear about the loss of your brother.

My condolences to you & your family.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 04:47 pm:

Aaron, I too am saddened to hear of the loss of your brother. My sympathies to you and your family.
Wayne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 11:10 pm:

Thanks guys.
He loved Arizona, They were touring the U.S, in a motorhome in 1978.
They left Wisconsin and went east, down the coast to Florida and across Texas finally arriving in Phoenix early in 1978.
They never did get any further than Phoenix.
Three years ago they moved into their new cabin a hundred miles north of Phoenix near Payson, in Star Valley. is wife dropped over dead at 63 about that time.
My brother would be 75 later this week.
He lived a good life raised a lot of hell and had a lot of friends. Had a lot of fun. Drank a LOT of beer. Owned his own airplane at one time.
He never recovered from a cancerous tumor operation between the throat and stomach that was operated on three weeks ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 12:19 am:

Aaron,
I am also sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. My sympathies to you and your family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 05:41 am:

Aaron,

I have a brother who lives in Idaho.

He is battling MS - has been for about (6) years.

I saw him a few weeks ago in Spokane.

I have lost (2) older sisters - one to a brain tumor & the other to an ocean drowning.

Family is Everything.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

You noticed that too Freighter Jim?
Family IS EVERYTHING.

Sure wish I'd gone down to Phoenix when he first started having trouble. Or at least a month or so ago.

I spent time with my mother before she died at 53.
I'm glad I did. I was stationed in Germany at the time (1957), but went home a couple of weeks before she died.
We knew she was gonna die, my sister was 85 my Dad 82. I accepted their passing, but this guy was only 74 and should have pulled through what is usually a successful operation.

My sister's husband had MS.
Ralph Ricks had MS. Nasty. And it can play tricks on the patient.
Some get better, even go back to work, but the next thing you know they are gone. Nasty.
Visit your brother whenever you get close Jim, you will never be sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

Thank You Aaron

Freighter Jim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration