Head gasket

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Head gasket
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john a sellers on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 08:34 am:

being a newcomer, I have been reading all the old forum posts, lots of good information there! I think I read that it is possible to install the head gasket wrong and cause over heating, is this possible? The 25 I bought is a steamer and I wont to check every thing before spending $800 on a new radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 09:10 am:

Yes. You could flop the gasket on wrong. The ends of the gasket have the two slotted holes for the water jacket openings of the block, the front facing slot is smaller.

Just check that the smaller slot in the gasket is forward facing the front of the T toward the radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 09:19 am:

John have you flushed the block and radiator? Does the "T" you are working on have a (gulp) water pump (if it does have one that may indicate it had a cooling problem for a while) are the fins on the radiator in good condition and tight against the tubes? There are several opinions as to the proper procedure for flushing the motor but maybe Steve Jelf will chime in with a link to his video it's always nice to see someone else do it first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 09:55 am:

Here's the page on cooling problems. It includes links to the videos.
http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG96.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john a sellers on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 10:15 am:

it has been flushed with Prestone cleaner, and the radiator was removed and flushed with a hose from top and bottom. found a lot of rusted casting slag in the radiator bottom and in the block a the water outlet. pulling the head to check the gasket is not a big job, I should be taking a look inside any way. any opinions on using something like CLR to try and open up the radiator?
Thanks
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 10:55 am:

If the head gasket is installed wrong, and a lot of then are, it will not cause overheating.
Don't buy a new radiator, get the old one recored.

I flush with a mixture of 25% CLR and water.
Leave it in a half hour and flush the ssip out of it.
After that you can add the new quick-flush that you can leave in for three days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 11:55 am:

The radiator can be re-cored if the tanks and fittings are still good. It is hard to find a radiator shop which can do so correctly and if it is not done right the hood will not fit correctly.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 12:51 pm:

John,
Pulling the head is a good idea if you have no history on the engine, as you might have the infamous & likely-to-fail-at-the-wrong-moment two-piece valves. MAYBE one can check that through the spark plug hole--anyone??? 'Cause, if so, it would maybe save pulling the head to check for that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 01:08 pm:

When you pull the head, make sure that all the small water pass holes are open. They rust shut very easily and will cause the engine to overheat. Just use a small drill bit to make sure the holes in the block and the head are fully open.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 01:11 pm:

Did you confirm the mixture and the timing? Overheating can be caused by running too lean on your carburetor mixture and or by not enough advance on the spark.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration