Stromberg OF upgrade result

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Stromberg OF upgrade result
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Amara on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 09:12 am:

I upgraded to a Stan Howe Stromberg OF at the beginning of the touring season, and wanted to provide some feedback for anyone considering the change. Do it. Installation is straight forward, but may require a little grinding to fit the carb. Clearance between the frame and unit was a little tight on my '17. Once installed, the carb required no adjustments thanks to Stan's test-running it before delivery. My car ran well on an NH, but performance increased significantly with the OF, most notably in the areas of acceleration and hill-climbing. I have not compared precise fuel economy numbers between the two, but I can say mileage seems a little better. If you're considering making this change, I feel it's worth the investment. Stan obviously knows his stuff and produces a great product.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Hagen on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 11:01 am:

What is Stans contact info?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 11:30 am:

http://www.strombergof.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 01:38 pm:

Grinding?

Please explain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 04:31 pm:

I too am just working up one of Stan's OFs. I found that it fit well with a good 1/8" clearance from the frame and this is using the Chaffin AL manifold. No grinding was needed.

I was surprised to find that the throttle rod used with the NH needed no adjustment at all, it fit right on. The mounting bolts were much easier to work with that they had been on the NH.

Right now the choke is just a wire hooked to the Ford knob but I have a cable type to add at a later date. So far in the summer heat, no choke at all has been needed. Only one test drive so far so more time will be needed to see how it performs.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

Yes I like my OF but some installs may be a little tight next to the frame as some carbs show a little wear on the side of the bowls from minor rubbing. I cured this on my '12 by facing the manifold at a slight angle so the carb is tipped away from the frame.

Surprisingly I've read about a couple of guys here that didn't like the OF but maybe they needed Stan to work his magic on their carb?

I certainly like mine but you'll have to learn how to adjust it a bit when you climb to higher altitudes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 06:17 pm:

If anyone is looking for one of the original OF Stromberg's Hot Spot Heat shrouds I have one attached to a manifold. I bought it wanting to add the accessory look to my OF but it will not fit the larger Alum manifold on my '12.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 02:21 am:

Thanks guys,
There is, in my humble opinion, nothing that will improve the T experience more than a decent carburetor and Ruckstell. The OF is the best all around carb. There are several reasons why they sold over half a million of them from 1922 to 1926 when there were a hundred or more other carbs available.

I have done hundreds, I'm not sure how many. Close to a thousand, I think. I finally have all the steel parts reproduced for them. That has helped a lot.

Problems with the OF are almost always related to junk in the idle passage or main jet. They are not as forgiving of crap in the gas as the NH and other Ford carbs, which will swallow a lot of junk before causing problems. The idle passage on an OF is .026 to .028 to it doesn't take much to plug the idle jet. Biggest problem I see and what causes nearly every return is yellow plastic tape being used on the fittings. Brass fittings do not need plastic tape.

Well, another OF and a Rayfield and a Breeze await me tomorrow so off to bed I go. Bought a gorgeous Breeze off ebay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 02:26 am:

This came in a couple days ago to be rebuilt. The guy dug it up in a junk pile in New York. It's such a pretty green I almost hate to bead blast it. But, he wants it restored so restored it will be. I'll post some pics when I get it done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 07:08 pm:

I had lots of interest in the Hot Spot but received a call the same night that I posted.
Thanks to everyone.

It's off to a good home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 10:53 am:

Stan
You are sure right, it is such a pretty uniform shade of green. Shame to remove it
Regards
Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 11:41 am:

It shows why they can dig up bronze coins from 2 or 3 thousand years ago, wipe them off and go spend them. I actually hate to restore this one, I might just put it on the shelf, but it wouldn't be that hard to redo. Once you get the rusted steel parts off it is just another brass OF. It actually looks like it was in excellent condition when it was thrown away, only missing one passage plug. Even the float needle cap is on the cover. Time rusted away the throttle lever, the economizer arm and the other steel parts.

Since it's Sunday, I suppose we could make some philosophical analogy about the ravages of time and all being left at the end is (whatever your personal beliefs dictate) but that would be politically incorrect so I won't do that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 11:59 am:

I'd be willing to wager a little something that Herman & Freida and their friends didn't concern themselves with what was politically correct.

It may be good to get back to the times when one could say what was on one's mind without fear of being physically injured.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

When was that, Dave?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 01:16 pm:

http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/minute/The_Caning_of_Senator_Charles _Sumner.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 01:34 pm:

Whoopsie - I forgot that one (and maybe several others).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 05:08 pm:

Speaking of Herman and Freida; are we getting a sequel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 06:35 pm:

Roar - Good idea!

Stan - What say? Methinks you make lots more doing carburetors than on Herman and Freida books. Maybe you could just raise the price on Herman and Freida a few bucks and it would all work out.... Just a thought.

Keith

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration