Barret Jackson Ts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Barret Jackson Ts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 02:43 pm:

1922 TT immaculate, ending bid, 55,000. Thjeres a lot of early stuff reaching crazy prices today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 03:07 pm:

If I were shopping for another T, that's the last place I'd go. They sell lots of high-dollar vehicles, so it seems people think everything they sell must be worth that kind of dough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 03:07 pm:

If you were selling, on the other hand...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 03:10 pm:

There is no 1922 TT on the planet worth 55,000 dollars. Must have been a bidding war, and somebody got caught up in the moment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 04:13 pm:

Here it is, part of the Ron Pratt collection. His cars tend to be perfect or concours quality.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 04:14 pm:

That probably explains the TT I was bidding on at an auction on Saturday Wood rotten / spoke wheels loose / no compression to speak of / front axle badly pitted / no ruxtell or warford / radiator shot / rear end housing badly pitted. I dropped when the bidding went over $1200 the final bid was $1800 BTW and the coils had black stuff oozing out of the top of 2 of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 04:15 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

His 1903 went for well over 120k

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 04:22 pm:

This is his collection that he is liquidating....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 04:39 pm:

Ok - that TT is immaculate. $55K is sheer lunacy, but it is a beautiful truck. Only aspect I don't like is the font they selected for "Fordson" on the bed - should have replicated the original Fordson lettering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

Hello Ed,
I am not trying to start anything. I am just looking for information. The welting on the firewall, is that being held on by pop rivets?
Should it be split?

Steve B.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 04:46 pm:

Those are split, they're just facing the wrong way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 04:46 pm:

Steve,

I think they are split rivets, but with the split on the backside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 04:49 pm:

Head should be on the bottom - split side comes through and then spread so the "legs" lay inside the valley, parallel to the edges of the lacing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 04:50 pm:

It seems that someone would go to such great detail on the restoration that this would be overlooked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 05:30 pm:

OK, the TT is beautiful. In fact, the engine compartment is too beautiful. It's a lovely thing. But I agree, no TT is worth 55 grand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 06:50 pm:

I think it was the phone number that did it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 06:51 pm:

That's not even a Ford TT body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 06:59 pm:

Obviously way over restored...what is it anyhow? Ford never made it like that...ie, the engine, etc. What would one do with it? Put it in a hermetically sealed chamber and view through port holes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 07:12 pm:

From the Barrett description.

"This 1922 Ford Model TT dealer service and delivery truck is a recreation of one that served the Woodhead Ford
sales agency in Brainerd, MN, 90 years ago. Based on family photos, the cab and load bed were rebuilt, while a solid
rust-free frame was used as the starting point. Nothing but original Ford and new old stock Ford parts were used in
the process. The worm-drive, 4-pinion rear axle, high-arch rear spring and wide-rim rear wheels are correct TT specification
Model T truck items. Clean and ready to show or tour."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 07:20 pm:

For what it's worth, coming from the know-nothing newbie:

In the six years I've been on this forum, I can't recall any instance wherein a member was dishonest or sold a car to somebody for an inflated price. _Yeah, there may be bickering and some undiplomatic straight-talk here but no dishonesty.

The Model T I bought was found through the MTFCA classifieds (within but two days of placing my ad) and I have only the very best things to say about the gentleman who sold me a very nice machine, indeed. _This is the place to buy Model T Fords.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 07:40 pm:

Many of the early Fords in the auction belonged at one time to John Woodhead in Minnesota He had a fantastic collection of Fords in Delano, Minnesota starting with a 1903 Model A through early 2000's models. The collection was auctioned in late summer of 2004.

To rehash what Ed in California posted:

His family had a Ford dealership - it was originally located in Brainerd, Minnesota but then they relocated to Lake Street in Minneapolis (the Lake Street building still stands).

The body of the TT is of recent construction. It is a re-creation on a truck that was originally owned by the Woodhead dealership in the 1920s. Period photographs of the original truck were used as a guideline to create the new body. I saw it a couple times when it was in Minnesota and I also saw the original photographs. As beautiful as it is, in my opinion the cab has some funny geometry - it is too tall and the length from the windshield to the back of the cab is too short. The original truck upon which it is based probably had better proportions.

Erik in Minneapolis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 09:42 pm:

The original cab that they copied was almost certainly a Schurmeier, which were made in Minneapolis.

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/s/schurmeier/schurmeier.htm

Here's a very original '22 TT with a Schurmeier body on it with original paint, pinstripe, and stencils still intact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 10:22 pm:

Sweet TT
The term "money laudering"
Cars typical sell high but usually same cars years after year keep going up in price even when car were soft B-J WAS BRINGING HIGH END PRICES
problem is the average guy see these and thinks that junk behind the barn worth a new caddy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

Looking past that exorbitant price, and the over restoration,...I absolutely love that color combination, it looks great on a truck...How small a town do you have to live in when your phone # is 4?..:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 12:01 am:

Looks like on the Barrett truck, the part above the doors is too tall, otherwise looks pretty close (and the window frames are different too).
Derek, that is an amazing "Rip Van Winkle" Truck!! (although I'm guessing it has more miles on it than the RVW car!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 12:14 am:

After looking at Derek's photos It just occurred to me why the cab is so short front to back - it's because the truck body has a cowl.

I'm used to seeing the more typical aftermarket bodies without cowls where the windshield is even with the firewall so the cab is substantially larger.

I do feel that the re-creation is too tall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 06:52 am:

After the final bid don't they add in fees and commissions? If so then who ever bought the truck paid more then $55,000.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 07:02 am:

Both the buyer and the seller pay a commission. At B-J Reno the bidder fees look like this:

Tier 1:
$200 ($150 if application received by July 13, 2015)
Bidder Paddle w/drink card, Guest Pass w/drink card, Gala Invitation for two, Parking Pass and Catalog.

Tier 2:
$100 - Bidder Paddle and Catalog.
BIDDER AMENITIES
•Bidder ID/Paddle (Adult admission for Preview Day and each day of the auction)
•Guest Credential (Adult admission for Preview Day and each day of the auction)
•Preferred Parking Pass (not available for every auction)
•Access to Bidder Seating Area & exclusive Bidder Bar (for Bidder and Bidder Guest)
•An Invitation for two to the Opening Night Gala.
•Barrett-Jackson Event Catalog (Available for pick up in the Auction Office)

BIDDER CREDENTIAL PACKET

All registered bidders will receive a packet that includes credentials for the registered bidder and one guest.

Packets will be mailed to all Pre-Registered Bidders (with completed registration requirements), prior to the dates of the auction.

Packets will be held on-site at the “Pre-Registered Bidder Will Call” for all foreign bidders, registered bidders who have not completed the requirements or bidders who were registered after the mailing deadline.

BIDDER REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS

Bidders will be issued a bidder paddle number only after all items have been received and the method of payment for vehicle purchases has been approved. Bidder credentials will not be issued if the application is incomplete or if required items are omitted.
•On-site Buyer's Premium: 10%
•Absentee Buyer's Premium: 12%
•On-site Automobilia Buyer's Premium: 15%
•Absentee Automobilia Buyer's Premium: 17%

NOTE: Payment is required for each vehicle purchased on the day of the sale. The Buyer's Premium is calculated and added to the Hammer Price. As the buyer, you are responsible for payment of this premium as well as all applicable fees and taxes at the time of payment.

The seller pays a entry fee (varies depending on time slot, average about $1000) and if the car sells an additional 8%.

If you are selling a high end car then Barrett Jackson is a great place to take it. Selling a car worth less than $50K you are going to be killed by fees.

(Message edited by royce on July 21, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 09:23 am:

If the $55,000 dollar TT Truck were driven on a tour or actually used for a fun vehicle the price would drop as much as $10,000.
A beautiful restoration to be sure but not at that price for most if not all on this forum. There could be some high rollers (and probably are) that post here and that's fine.
I watch and my jaw drops at the cash that's paid for some vehicles on Barrett-Jackson and wonder out loud where all the money comes from.

Make no mistake the old and classic car business is alive and well in this country.
Model T's are part of that and I'm glad they are. But I'm not happy enough to pay $55,000 for one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 09:44 am:

Note "drink cards". They want the high-rollers well lit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 10:16 am:

For what it is worth. An over restored automobile in a museum setting is just that a a large Objet d'art or maybe an Objet de vertu. Its sole purpose is to be viewed and admired(?). It can not be used for anything else (except as a bargaining chip). While researching the placement of an automobile on the national register for historic places, one of the criteria for consideration (including trains, airplanes, and ships) was the car was not a static exhibit in a museum setting. An automobile that has been restored to original condition and is used on the road has more value that a wow car that has been over restored and only brought out for conspicuous consumption displays with peers.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration