Learning experience on TT 20" wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Learning experience on TT 20" wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 09:56 pm:

After seeing Rich C.'s nicely finished TT wheels in the July progress thread, I felt motivated to start mounting my own tires on the rims. I did the rear tires first.

Through the process of gathering good parts for my truck I ended up with one nice TT 20" rim and ring. I also ended up with what I believe to be an AA 20" rim with the center removed. This one is twice as heavy as the TT rim and was in great shape. I actually wished that I had two of them.

I had them all painted up (I don't have access to a place to galvanize them) and ready to mount my NOS Goodyear tires. I mounted one and then the next without a hitch. The rings seated well (they were chained and aired up face down for safety). All was good until...I thought about the rear of the rim. On the TT the outer edge is rounded and on the AA the rear of the rim is squared off. I thought that I better make sure that the wheel seats into the rim as it should. Guess what? It doesn't. So, after all of this messing around I am again on the search for a good TT rim.

Lesson learned - Fit wheels to rims, or any parts for that matter, prior to doing a bunch of work if you are deviating from the original application.

By the way, if anyone has a good 20" rim (I have good locking rings) that is round and the locking element isn't smashed closed, I would be interested. PM me with what you have. I will probably also post this in the classifieds.

TT rim

AA rim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 10:12 pm:

Nice job sir

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike kolsrud on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 09:50 am:

Justin
i might have one for you if your interested

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 10:55 am:

Mike, I pulled out a couple that I had that and found one that may work. I had to do some pounding on the back edge of it and re-working of the snap ring groove. I'll be mounting the tire on it tonight but if the snap ring doesn't seat fully before inflating the tire I'm not going to risk using it. Either way am interested in what you have.

I've found that the snap ring grooves are common areas to get smashed down when tire irons are used to pry a stubborn tire off of the rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 11:15 am:

Justin I think you know what you are doing. you said in first post you chained wheels. a friend of my dad broke both arms on a truck tire that rim was not seated right. I grew up fixing the tires on our trucks my dad always made me put tire on truck and use a hose extention and stand off to side when airing up good luck on your project!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 11:51 am:

Paul, yes the split rings can be dangerous. A nice thing about the TT rims is that along with chaining you can air them up face down. It is important to check that the ring is seated well through the process particularly when starting. Another nice thing about the TT rims is that they have a really good positive locking element. The newer split ring wheels that I'm familiar with have more of a square channel for the ring to hang on to. I wouldn't touch one of those even if it looked to be in good shape.

The rim that I referred to last with the pinched locking area was on my truck when I got it. The locking ring was only half engaged so whoever aired that one up was playing with explosives. I got that one off the chassis and taken apart as soon as I got it home. I could just see that thing blowing apart while sitting in the garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

Mike, I sent you an email. I found out that my rim isn't good enough to run so I'll have to come up with a good one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 08:18 pm:

You do not pry tires off Dayton rims you break down the beads,remove the snap rings and they slip off!!If you were to look at the Doodle Bug thread you might see how they installed clips to bolt to your fellows! You can buy new Dayton rims with new snap rings Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration