Wishbone to engine pan mating

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Wishbone to engine pan mating
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Texas Gulf Coast on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 10:57 pm:

I just put my TT front suspension back together. The spring perch bosses are to the rear and I thought all was well until I installed engine. Wishbone was not even close to the ball socket on the engine pan. In fact I could not manually put the ball in the socket. I had to use a jack to raise the ball into socket. Is this normal? Or is something wrong? Note: With ball in socket spindles seem to have proper slope to rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 11:10 pm:

If it lined up when you jacked it up it should be fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 11:22 pm:

You might try loosening the spring clamp. I usually have to stick a 2x4 between the frame and wishbone to hold it down out of the way. You shouldn't have to jack it up to fit. Something is wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 11:35 pm:

Perch bolts fitted to wrong sides of axle will cause this problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 11:53 pm:

If you have a 4 dip pan, chances are the pan isn't straight. Been there, done that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 12:09 am:

In 1926 the front spring on TT's was changed from 7 to 9 leaves. This raised the frame (and engine pan!) 1/2" higher above the front axle than it used to be. To correct this dilemma the front TT cross member was also changed to be 1/2" shallower. If you have miss matched components, such as a pre-1926 TT, or car, front cross member on a TT along with the 9 leaf spring, the wishbone ball will end up too low. Measuring the drop of the front cross member to determine whether you have the shallow version isn't always accurate since over the years they tend to splay out. However, the 9 leaf TT cross member has a deeper channel to hold the extra spring leaves and this is easy to see when compared to the usual 7 leaf T version.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 09:08 am:

Bob

Normal happening, as you probably had the front end up on jack stands without the tires on the ground. When the chassis is lowered to the ground and weight on the front end, tires on ground, the engagement of the wishbone is a bit easier.

Using a jack as you did is typical. Just confirm your tilt back of the axle/spindles and all is good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 01:09 am:

I have had to do the same thing on many cars
I got 6 leaf spring in MY TT but should put one more
Atleast but that the way I got it for now and yes the clamps seat on the spring missing the very top leaf
Best not worry as if the rake checks good your good remember when all is new and tight 1/32 over 24" appox distance becomes hugh

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration