Difference in Ruckstells?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Difference in Ruckstells?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason - UT on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 10:05 am:

Are there differences between Ruckstells for cars and Ruckstells for the ton trucks or are they interchangeable?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 10:19 am:

They are different. The TT Ruckstell is much bigger. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 10:22 am:

Jeez, one glance at each will answer that question for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 10:23 am:

They both do the same thing in providing a direct drive and an under drive, but the similarity stops there. The housings and the innards are different, as are the housings and innards of stock T and TT rear ends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 11:53 am:

Jason, are you considering adding a Ruxtell to your TT? I imagine it would be of little benefit unless you want to pull or carry something really heavy since it is an under drive and the ton truck is already so slow. Oh, and I hope you aren't discouraged from posting by the occasional tactless response. Most guys here are really nice and helpful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Elliott on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

Most of the ruckstells are direct drive and overdrive

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 12:24 pm:

Thomas Elliott - Didn't you mean to say,....direct drive and underdrive?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 01:21 pm:

All Ruckstells are direct drive and under drive.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 01:28 pm:

How do you till what you have?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 02:11 pm:

Rick, if it's an unmounted unit you can compare the number of revolutions of the input shaft to the output shaft in the disengaged position and do it again when engaged. If the output speed is less when engaged it is an under drive, if more then an over drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 02:17 pm:

Stephen, someone posted on a different thread a chart showing gear ratios for a "special" Ruckstell which was in fact an overdrive. I don't have any experience with that and it was news to me but seems plausible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

John

Think this is the thread you mean,

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/353448.html?1365297912

The chart is Ruckstell, but in reality that 'overdrive' is nothing special, just the use of a 3:1 ring and pinion. Gives higher top end, ok for a light weight speedster or runabout, but the std. Ford ring and pinion ratio is best with the Ruckstell IMHO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 02:43 pm:

My TT has the high speed gears. I can run down the road at 33 mph easily. The Ruckstell really shines when pulling hills with this ratio as I use Ruckstell low Ford high. Nice set up here in the mountains. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 03:38 pm:

Hi Pat, Ive been clocked at 42 MPH in my TT with the tall gears. I also have 650-20 tires, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 03:59 pm:

An easy way to tell is to look at the shifter. If it is mounted with 3 bolts it is for a car. If it is mounted with 4 bolts it is for a truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 02:24 am:

No one seems to be mentioning the very obvious worm gear housing "cylinder" and the
top feed configuration of the Truckstell ! Besides being 3x the size of a Ruckstell (car), it
looks nothing like the car version.

I am using my (T)ruckstell more and more, experimenting with the ratios and various grades
around my area. The Ruckstell low/Ford High is really nice for keeping RPM's down and climbing
steeper stuff. I have the low speed gears now, so I top out at 20mph, but just put a high speed
unit together tonight that I'll mate to a Lincoln 3-speed aux trans that should put my gear ratios
close to the car ratios.

Something to consider is, with those tall gears, a weak engine will have a tough go pushing it.
I plan to build the engine a bit to match the rest of the set up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 02:27 am:

More details .... a car rear end will not interchange with a truck
rear end without some involved modifications, namely the springs
and mounting, drive shaft and radius rod lengths, and the wheels.
The latter would require some interesting hub work to make the
two mate up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 09:16 am:

I have one where someone cut the back off a TT frame and slid a rear section of T frame inside and bolted it up. This allowed for a Warford and a car rear axle without cutting the driveshaft.
Kinda neat really.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration