1926 Model T out of a museum

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1926 Model T out of a museum
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By carey smith on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 10:08 am:

I just picked up my grand fathers 1926 Model T that has been sitting in a museum since the 50's. I would like to get it running but would also like some advice on where to start. Please share what you know. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 10:35 am:

Pictures please First start with a safety inspection I'm sure all the fluids were drained before it was put on display so make sure the fuel tank is clean before dumping modern fuel in it fresh oil in the engine and rear end above all be safe and enjoy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 10:37 am:

I just checked out your profile as we say around here welcome to the affliction!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 10:41 am:

This page will help with a lot of questions esp the part about what every model t owner should have
http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG52.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By carey smith on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 11:38 am:

Thank you all for the input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 12:48 pm:

Pay special attention to the article on taking a car out of mothballs at the link above - and good luck! there are few things as fun as the first ride in a car that has sat so long...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

Be sure and replace the thrust washers in the rear axle, they are 90% certain to be babbit & will cause you grief down the road (and on the road too!).
Welcome aboard!! More info on your Grandfather's T and it's time in a museum, please!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 04:56 pm:

Be sure to check everything before you do any serious driving. We have a member in San Diego who bought a car which had been in a Ford Dealer's showroom for many years. That car looked perfect, but the brakes were bad. In fact the car you bought might even not have any oil in the crankcase or the rear axle so as not to leave a mark on the museum floor.

Anyway, everything on that car might be in perfect condition, but be sure to check for sure.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 09:55 am:

Carey, Welcome to probably the most active and informative Model T Forum in the world. You will get a lot of good info and help from the folks here. There could also be somethings said that appear to be a little "grumpy". After all, there are a lot of old men here. :-) :-). But almost everyone here is wanting to help. With that said, I agree with the others about checking the car over, as to how it was put into storage. Post your location, as I bet there are some local T owners that can be of help to you. Post any questions you have no matter how silly they may sound, I was always told by my grandpa, that there is "nothing wrong with a silly question" but there could be "something wrong with an un-asked question". I have been messing with Model Ts for over 30 years, and I regularly post a "silly question" :-) It will also help greatly if you can post pictures, we all "Love" pictures. They will need to be resized to under 250 KB in size. Thanks for showing an interest in the Model Ts and your grandpas Model T. Hope you have many years of fun with it ... Submitted with respect Donnie Brown ..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold lee cartwright on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 10:13 am:

pay attention to these older clowns and jokers I have had model a cars for 40 years until 6 months ago when I got a t to tinker with they will help you at all corner of the globe with their knowledge and hands on expertise good luck with your project and like everyone says pictures please

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 10:35 am:

Carey's profile says he's in Roswell, NM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 03:24 pm:

Oh wait, Roswell, NM???
I'd be careful, it might be a disguised alien spaceship!
:-)
Oh, and since it's in Roswell, we want photographic proof!!
Heh heh heh

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration