Got the hose off. Now what?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Got the hose off. Now what?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Harris on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 01:46 pm:

Well I got the bottom hose off and look I found. So, now what to do? Think I should get it repaired? The radiator itself looks fine. Machine shop? Learn lesson about draining the radiator before letting it sit for 30 years?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 01:55 pm:

Sent you a pm, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Harris on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 02:13 pm:

Thanks Bob. Without taking the radiator off, wasn't sure that was a replacement part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

Is it a secret?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 03:22 pm:

Plain water ruins lots of expensive stuff. Guess what the block is doing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 05:04 pm:

Unfortunately, I am a bearer of bad news. From what I can see of the radiator, it doesn't look very good. You need an outlet for the bottom tank and it would need disassembly of the radiator to install one. With all that work it would be wasted if the core is no good. Generally a radiator that old even if the core holds water, it won't cool very well because the corrosion between the tubes and the fins causes loss of heat transfer. If it were mine I would look for a new radiator. Also thoroughly flush out the block before you install the radiator.

About 1,000 dollars, but in the long run will save money if you install new outlet with labor required and then the radiator still won't be good.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 06:21 pm:

Andrew, My radiator was just like that, but not as worn as yours is, and the only reason I found it, was because I decided to change all 3 hoses. it never ran hot or anything like that, I just was doing some preventive maintenance on it. But I decided just to replace it, with a new one, to be safe, and figure out what to do with the old high head Radiator, at a later date, which at was not that long ago. It cost $901. including shipping, from Ohio, to the west coast, ( US Post office, Priority shipping ).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 06:50 pm:

And while your removing the radiator to replace or repair it would help if you flushed out the block or better yet remove the head and thoroughly clean out the water passageways in the block and the head.

You will surprised how much the 1/4" holes in the block and head are filled or stopped up.

It may take a little time and work but with a new radiator I would do it. Just flushing out the block will help as already mentioned but after years of rust build up a though cleaning is almost a must.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 06:57 pm:

I agree with the others that getting a new radiator is the best option from the looks of yours.
I went through 3 (good used?) radiators to try to save money but the time spent and driving and hoping for a good deal didn't work for me. I bought a new Bergs radiator and it made a huge difference in cooling and function. This is one item a T cant do without.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 07:21 pm:

At the last Hershey swap meet, I had a friend pick up a new radiator for my 29 model A from Berg. At the swap meet, it was $725.00 cash. The radiator is all new and I am very happy with the quality. Fit my radiator shell with no modifications.....everything lined up. I saved shipping by having someone pick it up at the swap meet and pay in cash. It was a free ride in a trailer getting back to Calif. I was told by Berg, that he only provides all new radiators to eliminate the problems of trying to re-core junk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

Is there enough to get a clamp on it? Can't see the bottom too clearly but if you can there's an out for you. Slightly longer bit of hose with a bit of silicone sealer smeared inside + a clamp and you're go. You don't mention an overheating problem so the rad is very possibly OK. A good flush and a coolant with some additives is a must.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Kile ....San Jose CA on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

I had the exact same problem. I bought the inlet and outlet from Robert ( very nice parts, by the way) and Had the local radiator shop install them. After they "tanked" the radiator , it began to leak in the core. After attempting to repair it twice, I gave up and bought a new Berg's radiator. I love it and should have just done that in the first place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 08:41 pm:

Andrew, did you take the hose off because it was leaking or did a bit of regular maintenance turn up this problem? Because if it wasn't leaking you can probably install a new hose and get away with it. I'm looking at the picture and the engine's condition and I'm figuring you're running the car and fixing as it needs it. If you can avoid dropping $800 to a grand into it why not?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 01:38 am:

If there is enough to put the hose back on, wire wheel it till it's good and clean and fill the pitted area with JB Weld then file smooth. I understand not everyone has the money for a new radiator but if you can start putting a little away for a new one that would be best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Harris on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 06:47 pm:

I want thank everyone for your input. I'm thinking about getting a new radiator. I will also be flushing out the block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 07:09 pm:

I have had 2 Model T radiators recored. On each I replaced the bottom outlet with a bronze part from Langs. I don't know if they are still available except maybe from Brass Works.

Maybe since you are a student Bob Bergstadt has an economical solution for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 10:19 am:

Find a junk radiator with a good outlet on it. The lower tank comes off pretty easy. There are also three rivets to hold it on besides soldering.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration