Couple of quick questions while working on the 1917

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Couple of quick questions while working on the 1917
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Broyles on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 03:06 pm:

Hello experts...me again. I have run into a couple of questions while working on our 'new' 1917 Touring car.

I am replacing the wood firewall and noticed the old one has a thin metal strip along it's top edge. There is no lacing strip or cushion of any type...just the metal hood closed against this metal strip that outlines the firewall. Was this metal strip a stock item? I have new lace to install but not sure where/how?

The other question is about the wood flooring. I have new front floorboards to install, but other than painted black, what flooring cover, if any, was used? Were there any mats? Carpet? vinyl? Or, just plain wood under the feet?

I'd sure appreciated any insight you experts can provide. Thanks so much,
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 03:16 pm:

Ken,

Usually there was a rubber mat in front:

front mat

A rubber mat in back:

rear Mat

and a cocoa mat in the rear up to 1916 or so:

cocoa mat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 05:27 pm:

Most folks use the rubber mat in the back for '17-up Touring Cars, but according to the MTFCI Judging Guidelines, they came with a black wool mat with bound edges.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

RE the metal strips, look for small nail holes. The lacing would have been nailed on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

Ken that metal strip on top of the wood firewall is a rain shield. I restored my 21 with a wood firewall and I believe that's what you're talking about.

I don't think any one is making the metal drip edge or metal strips that go down the sides of the wood firewalls in the black era.

Cant remember but I think the lacing is nailed on top of the metal drip edge and strips on the wood firewall.
Others on the forum will have further information on this as this topic has been covered before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Broyles on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

Hey, thanks guys!

Just to be clear....was there a single rubber mat for EACH side or just the driver? 2 in the back?

Mark, From what you posted.....I assume the metal strip is indeed supposed to be there. I just don't recall seeing it in other photos and not mentioned in catalogs.

If I have all this right it looks like I have an order to place!
Thanks again, much appreciated.
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 07:03 pm:

Your right Ken about the metal strips for the wood 17-21 wood firewalls. They aren't in the catalogs. Nobody is making them yet. It took me a while to find some decent used ones. Most sheet metal is being reproduced for T's but the drip edge and strips aren't for some reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

Everything you ever wanted to know about the cowl lacing on a 1917 Ford, from a guy that has two in the family - one restored and one unrestored:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/182377.html?1294979916

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/182377.html?1294979916

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/116098.html?1259757133

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/106894.html?1253539120

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 07:08 pm:

Read about the correct floor mat for a 1917 Ford here - I show my worn out but still useable mat in the thread below I including measurements.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/213679.html?1306604319

The new mats from the vendors are one-size-fits-all generic facsimiles. You will be required to cut the border to make it fit properly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 07:25 am:

I think there is a metal strip on the '17 and '18 cars but, one thing is for certain. There is no drip rail. That feature came only on '19 and later cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 08:36 am:

There is a metal cap on 1917 models - it is three pieces - right and left below the relief in wood firewall to accommodate the hood hinges and a top piece. No drip gutter.

Refer to my posting above with four links…...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Broyles on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

Thanks again everyone.

The metal strip on my wood firewall is indeed just a metal cap strip. It just covers the edge of the wood.

As for the rubber mats...do you guys buy two to cover the driver and passenger sides?

Erik,
those links/photos really helped a lot. Thanks for taking the time to link me up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 03:07 pm:

The front mat covers the whole front area for driver and passenger. You may have to cut the edges to fit. The rear mat covers the whole width in the rear passenger compartment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Broyles on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 07:08 pm:

Really?! Wow, I had that way off in my head. I'll place my order tonight. Thanks guys..you have really helped.
Ken

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration